Any way to clear all contacts and start over?

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Looking for a way to clear all of the contacts on the phone and start over. I've tried syncing just Google, just my Exchange, and now it seems I have a mixture of everything.

I'd like to wipe them clean and start over, but don't want to delete the contacts from either account, just off the phone.

Thanks,

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can do a factory reset but it will wipe all your data. Your google contacts will be synced once you sign in with your google account. The contacts are also in your gmail account. Not sure about the exchange contacts. Add them in gmail

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for a way to clear all of the contacts on the phone and start over. I've tried syncing just Google, just my Exchange, and now it seems I have a mixture of everything.

I'd like to wipe them clean and start over, but don't want to delete the contacts from either account, just off the phone.

Thanks,

Work with it out of your Gmail. If you're having duplicate issues and such there are tools to clean that up. Go to your gmail account on line via computer and work with it that way, that's the best way to do it.

OP
M

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I've tried working thru Gmail online on it, but it doesn't seem to carry over to the phone.

Because the DX doesn't allow for catagory grouping of contacts anymore, I had gone into my Gmail contacts and put the company name at the beginning of each person as thier first name, ex. Walmart - John Doe so that I could find people easier.

When I synced my exchange contacts, it wouldn't merge them automatically because of the different names. So I went in and took the company names out of the contacts, but it never changed them on the phone. Now I have those same contacts with the company preface and without in Google and the original in Exchange as well!

Isn't there a file that could be deleted to clear them all so that I can just sync fresh? I'd hate to start fresh, but they seem to be in such disarray that I may have to.