Can't Delete Facebook Contacts - Help!

fmckinnon

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue ... what really stinks is that since all the FB people were imported into my Contacts list, they "imported" into my Google cloud, too. In Gmail, I go to contacts and delete the people, but that doesn't delete them on the phone.

Now, to make matters worse, when I try to follow the above steps .. .and I click on "Display Groups" ... the only thing that happens is my phone says "Show" ... and nothing else .. no groups or options are displayed.

HELP!?

djbis

Reaction score
Just wanted to update my situation. I waited for a 2.2 update for the X but have not received it.

After doing some more studying on this case and not having any success I had to reset the phone (to factory settings).

Keep the sync feature for your facebook account COMPLETELY off, even the partial setting for contacts that ALREADY exist on your phone may end up fouling up your X again. If you make the mistake of allowing sync, go back and DISABLE it before you go to bed or at a time when your phone is on the charger and not needed for the next 2 to 4 hours. After you make your selection to disable sync on your FB account, your phone will likely reboot and remain on the "EYE BOOT SCREEN" for more than an hour. This is normal. Do not remove the battery while this LONG reboot occurs!
If you let it do its thing it will come back as you desired: without the facebook syncing.
You may notice that your phone may react slowly for the next couple hours as the phone finalizes the new configuration and removal of contact sync assignments.

After that it should be smooth sailing.

Bottom line, users with a high number of FB friends should disable FB sync for now. If you do make the mistake of enabling the feature, follow the instructions above. If that does not help, your phone will need to be reset.

Verizon stores can backup much of your apps, multimedia, etc and help you with the reset.

fmckinnon

Reaction score
djbis,
Thanks for the update- it's looking as if this will be my last resort as well. A couple of recovery questions:

1. If I setup my phone w/ the same gmail account I previously used .. will the app store recognize all my previous purchases?

2. Does the data on the SD card get reformatted as well? I assume all the pictures and videos I've taken are stored there, and not on the phone (though, I'm not sure, nor am I sure how to find out). I can use iPhoto (on my Mac) to pull all of those off, but want to make sure.

3. After the factory reset - are you using the Facebook App to login, or are you adding your Facebook account via the "Social Networking" app? I've found no real use for the Social Networking app, as I can just use the FaceBook app, and I use a separate Twitter app.

djbis

Reaction score
djbis,
Thanks for the update- it's looking as if this will be my last resort as well. A couple of recovery questions:

1. If I setup my phone w/ the same gmail account I previously used .. will the app store recognize all my previous purchases?

2. Does the data on the SD card get reformatted as well? I assume all the pictures and videos I've taken are stored there, and not on the phone (though, I'm not sure, nor am I sure how to find out). I can use iPhoto (on my Mac) to pull all of those off, but want to make sure.

3. After the factory reset - are you using the Facebook App to login, or are you adding your Facebook account via the "Social Networking" app? I've found no real use for the Social Networking app, as I can just use the FaceBook app, and I use a separate Twitter app.

1. For me it seems that everything was recognized. a "Purchased" is listed right on the app in the market, so you just have to re-download.

2. Its always good to have a backup anyway, so you might want to copy the SD contents for peace of mind. Generally the reset should not affect the data on the SD, but I also believe that you can remove the SD and perform the reset without it. Or as I suggested, head to your nearest store and have them back the stuff up for you. Contacts can be easily backed up with Verizon's own backup utility that came with the X.

3. That whole "Social Networking" app/widgets are what Motorola thought we would like (MotoBlur?) and it absolutely sucks IMO. I don't use it and would like to remove it from my phone.

The way to add your account:

A. After your phone is reset, go to the market and find the official android Facebook app. Updated it/download it, just to make sure your X did not use an old one when it did its factory reset.
B. After it installs, go to the Facebook app and sign on.
C. Select "No Sync" on the next menu.

You should be done shortly after this.

Now you can log into Facebook and do all the things you want without having the sync feature with your contact list which is what is killing the phone right now. I hope they fix it.

If you are interested in syncing your contacts photos with the photos they have uploaded to FB, check out: SyncMyPix on the android market.

Cheers!

fmckinnon

Reaction score
Thanks
I'm in the process of factory reset right now .. .have my mac address book and my ical/google calendar data exported, and imported all pics and videos into iPhoto ... so i should be safe. I will report back once I'm done!

fmckinnon

Reaction score
OK - I'm a little paranoid ... I did everything as above ... I went to the Android market and downloaded the Facebook for Android app ...

Upon launch, it asked me to login, so I did .
The next screen was a "how to get the most out of Facebook', etc ... (ie. add the widget to your home screen, etc) ... pressing the "Menu" button on this screen did nothing but bring up the keyboard.

Clicked "Finish" and it took me into the Facebook ... click on "Menu" this time, and get "Settings" ... but there is NO MENTION of sync'ing friends?

BUT - the good news is .. it does NOT seem to have imported my facebook friends??

wyldfyr

Reaction score
Thank you so much. They might still be lurking in there someplace but at least I don't have to look at them anymore. dancedroid