any of you experiencing any lag

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How's that camera compared to the Maxx? ;)

And sorry, I completely forgot to respond in your other thread asking about the S4!

No problem at all. I think the camera is better. I have been really pleased with the phone so far.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No problem at all. I think the camera is better. I have been really pleased with the phone so far.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
I know you upgraded from a Maxx, which was compared to the s3 alot, do you find the s4 to be a significant upgrade?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I know you upgraded from a Maxx, which was compared to the s3 alot, do you find the s4 to be a significant upgrade?

I would have to say yes. I always found my JB experience on my Maxx to be a bit sluggish. It is much more fluid with the S4, plus the screen on this phone is amazing. Still getting used to the cool things it can do, and if I can fix the lag on the text messaging APP I would have no complaints.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Any lag that my phone has (undetected by me so far) would be completely outweighed by the screen. It's phenomenal. I was expecting the least favorite aspect to me would be the heavy wrapper, but honestly it's got it's good points.

KillVolume

Reaction score
Never had any 'lag', but I've gotten some slight stutter in certain apps. Never on the home screen, settings, app drawer, etc.

kaylesworth

Reaction score
I would have to say yes. I always found my JB experience on my Maxx to be a bit sluggish. It is much more fluid with the S4, plus the screen on this phone is amazing. Still getting used to the cool things it can do, and if I can fix the lag on the text messaging APP I would have no complaints.

Here is how I fixed the lag in the text messaging app. Went to settings, More, developer options and set the 3 animation speeds to .5x from 1x. Now the original keyboard and Swiftkey pop right up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Here is how I fixed the lag in the text messaging app. Went to settings, my device, developer options and set the 3 animation speeds to .5x from 1x. Now the original keyboard and Swiftkey pop right up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Good call sir. It is still a little clunky when the keyboard comes up and down but it is far better than it was. Appreciate it.

papapena25

Reaction score
I traded in my Note 2 for the S4 and I notice lag also. I thought it was just me and I was going to start a thread about it, but noticed one was started. When going through home screens scrolling through apps and menus. It's not all the time, and not really bad. It just doesn't feel as smooth and I noticed it right when I got the phone. Other wise the phone performs good. Maybe I should go play with one at the verizon store to compare. If the one at the store doesn't have the lag then I'll get a replacement.Edit: Just moved the animation scale to .5 in all three and the lag is 90% gone, feels alot better.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if checking "disable hardware overlays" and "force gpu rendering" would change the lag at all...

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if checking "disable hardware overlays" and "force gpu rendering" would change the lag at all...

I'm sure those would work...if I knew what the heck they were. I thought disabling hardware overlays might prevent me from finding things at Lowes or Home Depot, and I though GPU stood for Giant Panda Underware. I always wondered why I would want to render that!?! You guys are too smart for me.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Tried it. Didn't seem to make much difference.

I also turned animations off all together and I am using Nova Launcher set to "Faster than light", still a little slower than I feel it should be. Starting to see a little lag in general areas as well.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
there some sort of placebo effect going on here cause of the videos posted?:D

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm sure those would work...if I knew what the heck they were. I thought disabling hardware overlays might prevent me from finding things at Lowes or Home Depot, and I though GPU stood for Giant Panda Underware. I always wondered why I would want to render that!?! You guys are too smart for me.
LOL that was awesome.

there some sort of placebo effect going on here cause of the videos posted?:D
Same thought crossed my mind, but I'm sure the owners chiming in here already noticed the lag/stuttering before. I don't think it's placebo, but definitely watching the videos could raise your sensitivity level. I also think something important left out of the conversation so far is that once an owner starts to install their preferred apps, all bets are off. No two phones are the same after they're customized -- in other words it's totally plausible that some/most of the lag has little do to do with the hardware, and is instead due to a "misbehaving" app bogging the system down.

EDIT: I'm also intrigued by the communal sensibility that going down to the Verizon store and checking out the demo phone might be informative. Unfortunately my local corporate store keeps their phones in awful condition, so using one as a baseline would probably be a waste of time. However, my neighborhood Best Buy seems to keep them in better condition -- it must vary a lot from place to place.

-Matt

Last edited: