any of you experiencing any lag

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;UEyWvct85I4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEyWvct85I4[/video]

I am curious because customers of s3 and n2 not experiencing any so I expect the s4 to handle the same if not better.

bsghs02

Reaction score
I haven't felt any lag yet. It's all smooth to me, but maybe it's because it's far better than my Razr Maxx was. Was worth buying!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
this video was posted in another thread I had commented in. It really shows the "lag"/ slowness of the OS. I think it comes down to the UI. The "lag" is around the 3:35 mark, but the whole video is worth a watch.
[video=youtube;FuEgOZZFfHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FuEgOZZFfHg[/video]

Both the One and s4 are beasts of a phone, but to me, and I could be wrong, it seems TouchWiz may interfere with overall smoothness. Messing around with both in the store I didn't notice it, but side by side it's hard to ignore. There could've been many other factors to this "lag" as well too though.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this video was posted in another thread I had commented in. It really shows the "lag"/ slowness of the OS. I think it comes down to the UI.
[video=youtube;FuEgOZZFfHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FuEgOZZFfHg[/video]

Both the One and s4 are beasts of a phone, but to me, and I could be wrong, it seems TouchWiz may interfere with overall smoothness. Messing around with both in the store I didn't notice it, but side by side it's hard to ignore. There could've been many other factors to this "lag" as well too though.

Wow, that boy grilled Samsung.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry I should've mentioned, start the video at 3:35 or so for the "lag" issue, I think that's the part. I didn't watch the whole thing, but he doesn't seem too happy with Samsung in general.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It was a good video. I'm interested in seeing how s4 users, particularly on this forum, is enjoying their s4 experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jamjr74

Reaction score
No lag for me but then again I do not use touchwiz!!!! Nova Launcher for me!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It was a good video. I'm interested in seeing how s4 users, particularly on this forum, is enjoying their s4 experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I just watched it and he does make a few good points. I agree with some and disagree with some, but overall I think for my specific case, should I choose to go with the s4, it's a great and significant upgrade. Having used the s3 for a bit I didn't feel it was that much of an upgrade over my Nexus, but just using it in store I felt the s4 is a significant upgrade over my Nexus.

Hopefully next month when I upgrade I can add to this should I choose the s4.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
No lag here. None. Whatsoever. ;)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm...not really impressed with either of those videos. The first is spent with virtually the entire time scrolling from one home screen to another, and only a quick clip of sample lag, and the second only launches Google Now a few times to illustrate the problem (fairly minor too). In the second, the reviewer complains that "There's lag all over the place in this phone, it exists in every single application, it exists between applications, it exists in the homescreen, it exists in the appdrawer." Meanwhile he's scrolling through screens, through the appdrawer, and....drumroll please....no lag! The evidence is lacking.

I'd really like to see some better, more consistent examples before I buy the story.

Disclaimer: I'm in shopping mode at the moment, and the S3 and One are at the top of my list. So I'm way, way, way biased.

-Matt

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I don't use TW but on the N2 and S4(that I tested) I notice no lag whatsoever... The only delay on N2 is unlock to wake a little which is not a problem here.. Google Now I read if your not using SVoice to disable.. I'm rooted so I froze it.. Google Now is much better IMO than SVoice..

Noted on HD

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's really going to depend on what you're used to, and also what you run on your homescreens. Besides obvious stutters, a lot of "lag" is perceived based on what you're used to and what you "feel" when you're interacting with a device. So while we see a video and see no lag, it's possible the user is "feeling" it, whether legitimately or not.

That said, If you have any sort of animated or high-graphic widgets, it will occasionally stutter. If you're coming from the HTC One or iPhone 5, you'll probably notice it just feels like it can't quite keep up every now and then. Overall I felt the HTC One was indeed more responsive to my inputs, but HTC also has the animations ramped up pretty fast by default, which adds to making it feel faster. If you speed up the S4's animations in the dev options, it helps it to feel more on par with the One.

On the T-Mobile S4, the first iteration was actually very laggy, but after its first software update, it was greatly improved. So I have no doubt that any lag felt on the S4 is strictly due to software "interference". Whether or not they can tweak it to perfection (or want to take the time), who knows.

All in all, I would say my overall positive experience with the S4 trumps any occasional lag I might feel on it. Oh, and I wasn't able to watch the full video or hear him talk, but I did watch the part at 3:35 compared to the One.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I am on day 3 of having the S4 and the only lag I am seeing is when you bring up or close the keyboard while texting. I have seen it on the standard keyboard and Swiftkey.

I am using Nova Launcher now because I love that Vintage Icon pack that was on the news feed a few weeks ago so much. But even on the stock UI I never saw lag apart from the texting. Might try another texting APP to see if it goes away, just not sure which one to try.

All in all I love this phone since moving from my Droid Razr Maxx.

Wow just watched that second video, that guy sounds like a angry teenager.

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am on day 3 of having the S4 and the only lag I am seeing is when you bring up or close the keyboard while texting. I have seen it on the standard keyboard and Swiftkey.

I am using Nova Launcher now because I love that Vintage Icon pack that was on the news feed a few weeks ago so much. But even on the stock UI I never saw lag apart from the texting. Might try another texting APP to see if it goes away, just not sure which one to try.

All in all I love this phone since moving from my Droid Razr Maxx.

Wow just watched that second video, that guy sounds like a angry teenager.

How's that camera compared to the Maxx? ;)

And sorry, I completely forgot to respond in your other thread asking about the S4!