Any noob guides ?

reptile_spot

Reaction score
I've been reading around in the forums here for a few weeks now and finally decided to join. I have a A955 D2 and been wanting to upgrade it. I've been wanting to try CM7 but I can't figure out the SBF (system boot file). I don't want to brick it but I can't seem to find any real guides on how to perform a SBF flash or when you need to do a Full or partial SBF flash? I know a SBF can brick your device if you put a new on over a old sbf? or something like that? Not sure I have a hard time understanding it.
I've also been looking for info about using these other roms on other networks then just Verizon? For instance I want to have my phone flashed over to prepaid Cricket or something else of that sort. Will I still be able to use my phone with them? I don't have my phone on Verizon atm I'm using it on another local prepaid carrier with unlimited phone, text, +2.5GB data for $35. Its considerably cheaper then Verizon's plan for me at least. "Please excuse my improper formatting and grammar."

Phone Info:
A955 D2
Sys ver. Verizon.2.3.20.A955.Verizon.en.US
Android Ver. 2.2 (Froyo)
Kernal: 2.6.32.9

Thanks in advance for any replies!

P.S. Any reference guides for some of the terminology would be great if someone has a link to a threat I'm able to Google most of it but lots of it leads me back to these forums w/o much a definitive answer.

louy99

Reaction score
You don't need to sbf to load cm7. You need to root the phone, get rom manager premium from market and you load cm7 nightlies from there. Do some research on this before diving in. There are other ways to do this too. I find this to be the easiest for beginners. PM me if you need help

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'll need:

Latest CM7 nightly: http://www.revnumbers.info/
Z
4Root (Market)
Droid2 Bootstrapper (Market, I think, but if not google for the download)

Download latest nightly to your SD card.
Install Z4Root and root phone.
Install Droid2 Bootstrapper and install and launch Clockwork Recovery.
Wipe data/cache
Wipe Dalvik cache (Under Advanced menu in Recovery)
Wipe Battery Stats (Under Advanced menu in Recovery)
Select Install zip from SD card.
Browse to CM7 zip and select it.
Reboot, activate phone if necessary, allow apps to restore, set up email accounts, etc.
Install ROM Manager - use ROM Manager to launch Clockwork Recovery once you have CM7 installed.
Uninstall Droid2 Bootstrapper - not compatible w/CM7.
Calibrate battery using Battery Calibration app from market (do this any time you move to a new ROM)

Last edited:
OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
I downloaded the latest zip from CM4D2 unnoficial nightly links but now I keep getting installation Aborted: E:signature verification failed. I've downloaded the file several times same error every time. Any Ideas?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're using the Install ZIP from SD card option, right?

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
Yuppers. File name is CM4D2-nightly-2011-08-15.zip
I also tried to rename it to update.zip but same error with both names

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try the toggle signature verification option and then try to install it again.

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
same error though it gets farther. I'm going to try downloading the 2011-8-08 release its the last one with a noted change on the change log.

Thanks btw for helping me troubleshoot this!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Making sure you're in clockwork recovery - you did this, right?

Install "Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap".

Run the Bootstrap app. Press the "Bootstrap Recovery" button and accept any Superuser alerts that pop up.

Then, press the "Reboot Recovery" button.

Then when in Clockwork recovery the menus should all be in green...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
When disabled, toggle signature verification will say: "Signature Check: Disabled"

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
and the other thing to do is check the MD5 sum to make sure you have a clean download. Google MD5 check if you don't have an app to do that.

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
Yup, seems the 8-15 release didn't work. I installed the 8-8 one but now my home key doesn't work. I have to spam the back button to get out of apps/menus. lol seems I can't win for loosing here almost.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bizarre luck you're having...try the last nightly before the one that failed assuming you haven't thrown your phone into the wall yet.

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
It is my luck lol. I did run the hash check on all the first 2 I downloaded with a download manager didn't work. I disabled my accelerator and they started passing MD5 just downloaded insane slow. I'll try another install as soon as this last download finishes. 14.7KB/s Vrrooommm~ putting several zips on the SD card this time so I can make sure ones good.

One other question the Bootstrapper app has two Clear Cache options one is Clear Cache/Factory reset and the other is Wipe Cache Partition. I did them both last time to be safe but if I can avoid the total reset Its always nice

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
When moving to a new ROM the first time (e.g., CM7 to MIUI, or from stock to CM7), always wipe data/cache.

When updating within the same ROM (CM7 nightly to next nightly), just wipe cache/Dalvik cache (Dalvik is in Advanced menu).

If you start experiencing issues after loading a number of nightlies you might need to wipe data again at some point...but I'd wait until things start going wrong before doing that.

Good luck...I'm downloading the most recently nightly now and it is indeed S-l-o-w....

Last edited: