antiVirus App (Please Help)

KSR

Reaction score
Hello there yet again, Droid Forum. It's 17 again and I apologize about posting so many question threads. I just got my Droid yesterday, so I'm still learning. Bare with me. >.< LOL

I was thinking about downloading an antiVirus App for my phone, "Lookout" to be specific, since I saw it being demonstrated on a video. Is it a good idea to download an antiVirus app? What type of "viruses" can there exist on a smartphone? If you can, please give me feedback on the "Lookout" app if you use it.

I'll appreciate any help you can give me. =D

RLJSlick

Reaction score
KSR, you probably will never see a virus on this smartphone, Android is based on Linux, and as far as I know there isn't any viruses for it, but probably don't mean never so Lookout is a great program. Been using it for 6 months or so and works great.

BrandyLS

Reaction score
i have 2 months with my droids (me and my hubby) and i havent gotten any viruses so far. But i was also wondering if you can actually get a virus, how do you get it, and is it truly necessary to have an antivirus? If you find out, let me know

Reneg4d3

Reaction score
To answer your questions, yes, since this is a true multitasking phone, applications can be made to do many things. It probably wouldn't be as bad if you were running a stock ROM. However, if you have root access, then an application could be made to do anything on your phone that it wanted.

Just because it is running Linux doesn't mean it cannot get virus's. Linux is merely an operating system in which code can me programmed to tell the operating system how to perform and how to act. Just because all you Microsoft users get so many virus's and us Linux users never get any on our computers doesn't mean it doesn't happen :D

I have used Lookout! for months now, and from what I can tell it isn't as much of a memory hog or battery drainer as I thought it would be. It has some potentially nice features including backup and restore.

Now to know whether or not it really is "scanning" for virus's or whether it really "detects" anything is a different story.

MORAL OF THE STORY?
Don't download APPS that look malicious, or you might be stuck selling snake oil to save money to buy a new phone.

What more could you ask for from a free application?

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
You don't need an antivirus app for your phone. I do however have some snake oil i could give you a great deal on :D

brando56894

Reaction score
I downloaded an anti virus app at first then I though about how linux worked and realized it wasnt necessary. I dont even have AV scanners or malware scanners on my computers and they run both windows and linux, I havent had any virus/malware problems in years, I just know what to download and what not to :D

You don't need an antivirus app for your phone. I do however have some snake oil i could give you a great deal on :D

Snake Oil?!? How much?? :icon_ banana:

dliontis28

Reaction score
I have lookout which works very well for backing up and scanning and I also have the free antivirus app that has warned me several times if the app I'm downloading from the market is suspicious or malicious to the phone. Both are very good. Hope this helps some

brandontownsend

Reaction score
slows droid down...

Am I the only one who experienced problems using the LookOut app? After a while, my Droid started slowing down dramatically (mainly in response time, but generally, all functions were slower). I just removed LookOut and am back to factory speeds. Debating on not reinstalling this app, anyone out there not running A/V app and has had issues w security?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who experienced problems using the LookOut app? After a while, my Droid started slowing down dramatically (mainly in response time, but generally, all functions were slower). I just removed LookOut and am back to factory speeds. Debating on not reinstalling this app, anyone out there not running A/V app and has had issues w security?

Nope. Anti Virus apps are known resource hogs. i advise against them but if you really feel you need it then put it on there. Waste of space IMHO.