Droid Antivirus protections

OP
K

kraxyk

Reaction score
But I did notice that it requires permission for phone calls. Why?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so sounds like its good to go !
Permissions are where apps can cause malicious things... anti-virus will not protect you from a malicious app.

Alright so before I download an internal app I would check for obvious things like. Phone call, contacts, or other weird acess
Absolutely. You have it right.

It's tough to determine what an app really needs access to but you can spot the obvious ones. Like a wallpaper app that needs access to SMS or your dialer for example.

When you install an app you'll always get the permissions list before it installs, just make sure to look it over. Even apps on the Market aren't immune to this. That's why some common sense and the extra 5 seconds to read the permissions is the best bet for safety.

OP
K

kraxyk

Reaction score
Permissions are where apps can cause malicious things... anti-virus will not protect you from a malicious app.

Alright so before I download an internal app I would check for obvious things like. Phone call, contacts, or other weird acess
Absolutely. You have it right.

It's tough to determine what an app really needs access to but you can spot the obvious ones. Like a wallpaper app that needs access to SMS or your dialer for example.

When you install an app you'll always get the permissions list before it installs, just make sure to look it over. Even apps on the Market aren't immune to this. That's why some common sense and the extra 5 seconds to read the permissions is the best bet for safety.

Ok thanks. Also as I said above. My phone said the Mikandi app requires phone calls. Thats the third and last on the permissions page. It sticks out because it doesn't seem like Mikandi app itself would need to make phone calls

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar myself with Mikandi so I couldn't tell you why it would need access to it, but it seems the consensus of the masses here say it's a legit site/app.

Just keep an eye out for any strange behavior, other than that don't stress too much over it :)

OP
K

kraxyk

Reaction score
I'm not familiar myself with Mikandi so I couldn't tell you why it would need access to it, but it seems the consensus of the masses here say it's a legit site/app.

Just keep an eye out for any strange behavior, other than that don't stress too much over it :)

Alright I will give it a shot !

MiKandi

Reaction score
I heard my name

One of the permissions we ask for is "Phone calls: read phone state". This provides us the correct device information so we only show you the apps that work on your phone.

As it was mentioned earlier, folks should take caution when downloading any third party app. Reading the permissions, and asking why an app needs them is an important step. When a developer publishes an app in MiKandi, it's available in the market within minutes. So practicing "safe downloading" is encouraged for any non-Market app. When in doubt, you can also contact the developer of the app. A good developer should address your concerns promptly and professionally.

We'll be pushing out a major update in two weeks with new features, including reviews and ratings, and flagging. If you see an app with a poor rating, weird permissions, and an MIA developer, buyer beware! If you see any iffy activity, give us a shout and we'll take action.

OP
K

kraxyk

Reaction score

One of the permissions we ask for is "Phone calls: read phone state". This provides us the correct device information so we only show you the apps that work on your phone.

As it was mentioned earlier, folks should take caution when downloading any third party app. Reading the permissions, and asking why an app needs them is an important step. When a developer publishes an app in MiKandi, it's available in the market within minutes. So practicing "safe downloading" is encouraged for any non-Market app. When in doubt, you can also contact the developer of the app. A good developer should address your concerns promptly and professionally.

We'll be pushing out a major update in two weeks with new features, including reviews and ratings, and flagging. If you see an app with a poor rating, weird permissions, and an MIA developer, buyer beware! If you see any iffy activity, give us a shout and we'll take action.

great thank you