droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
They will all start throttle data eventually....

sent from my hot Note Pro!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A threatening letter from the federal government will either put an end to it or Verizon will soon call their bluff and join AT&T. Bank on it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
OP
xeene

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
They are discriminating against customers with unlimited data plan which is against fcc regulations.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
They are discriminating against customers with unlimited data plan which is against fcc regulations.

***NOTE: I will admit I am playing a little Devil's Advocate here. I agree, it is a total bag of rubbish. But I also understand why they are doing this. There isn't one reason, there are multiple. Some are relevant, some are not.***

I think the FCC needs to prove without a doubt that they are legitimately discriminating. I think what AT&T might say to the FCC would make the FCC think before taking action.

***We all know they are doing it to make more money. Just wanted to get that out there.***

Reason 1: Cost per MB (or GB, or TB)

AT&T could argue that while they are a service provider, there is always an exception. The top 5%. The top 5% I am referring to are the users who use abuse the network. They go way past normal usage.

Reason 2: AT&T is trying to buy DirecTV

AT&T had a freeze in the wireless industry. They cancelled a lot of projects. Next year's spending on building and upgrading will be even less than this year's. Without the money to build out, some areas will still be on HSPA. Areas that needs the upgrades where it is already congested are likely to get it. But areas where they planned to deploy AWS or other bands for LTE upgrades might not get them. Overall capacity is going to suffer.

Those are just two ideas that come to mind right away. They are likely to argue you are still getting data. I have been throttled a few times. I can still view email, SMS, MMS and read the forums. I wasn't able to stream video, but I could do the things I had to.

Again, I am not saying this a good thing. I don't agree with it. But it is because they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I agree with Froggie. They aren't cutting off data they are reducing speeds. Tmobile does this as well if you are on their Simple family plan.

However, AT&T has 70ish million customers. Even if they charged everyone $1 a month they would be making $70 million a month on customers. Now multiple that by the real cost of plans and that makes me question why there are any caps at all.

Reactions: cr6

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Money. Greed. Keep shareholders happy. DirecTV's $46 Billion purchase price.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You nailed it frogman!
Just like the company I work for (which will remain nameless) they continue to lay off employees and get rid of valuable positions, move our customer service reps and accounts payable positions to India, all while buying up smaller companies left and right. And don't get me started on all the bonuses they've done away with over the past 5 years. Yet they continue to donate literally hundreds of millions of dollars to various charities each year, raise our health insurance premiums EVERY year and cut our 401K matching by 50%.
It makes you wonder what kind of idiots are running this company and how they can sleep at night. (where's the :banghead: emoji when you need it!) lol

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You nailed it frogman!
Just like the company I work for (which will remain nameless) they continue to lay off employees and get rid of valuable positions, move our customer service reps and accounts payable positions to India, all while buying up smaller companies left and right. And don't get me started on all the bonuses they've done away with over the past 5 years. Yet they continue to donate literally hundreds of millions of dollars to various charities each year, raise our health insurance premiums EVERY year and cut our 401K matching by 50%.
It makes you wonder what kind of idiots are running this company and how they can sleep at night. (where's the :banghead: emoji when you need it!) lol

S5 tap'n
For every dollar they lose in tax benefits your healthcare will go up to match. They offset the tax break loss by giving to charity for the deduction and actually get tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas. It's all part of the clusterbomb called the federal tax code. The overseas tax break has been in place since before the turn of the century but the tax break loss in healthcare costs are unintended consequences of the affordable health care act.
Be thankful you don't work for a bank because they've got it even worse by adding Dodd/Frank into the above mix, another regulation that only helps the mega corporation/bank.
Anyway, bot, throttling will continue to become a reality as long as it's tolerated by the consumer. The wallet is the loudest speaker of them all that will cause real change if used by consumers instead of them expecting the government to fix it. I spoke with my wallet when I left Verizon. T-Mobile didn't have coverage in an area I needed call signal,I spoke with my wallet again and moved to AT&T. It's much easier than just a year ago because no contract plans are becoming the norm and no longer the exception that Virgin/Boost/etc only offered.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4