Android, VZW and Google Voice calls

carguy

Reaction score
I've found a few threads with scattered information, this looked like the best place for this question, so here it goes.

I have a Google Voice number. I have the GV app on my DX. I've been making a few calls from my DX to my contacts using GV to place the outgoing calls.

Do these calls count toward my 'minutes' with my VZW account or are they going through my data plan? I have the unlimited text/data plan through VZW. We are on a 700 minute family share plan (2 of us).

Thanks in advance.

thinkmega

Reaction score
I've found a few threads with scattered information, this looked like the best place for this question, so here it goes.

I have a Google Voice number. I have the GV app on my DX. I've been making a few calls from my DX to my contacts using GV to place the outgoing calls.

Do these calls count toward my 'minutes' with my VZW account or are they going through my data plan? I have the unlimited text/data plan through VZW. We are on a 700 minute family share plan (2 of us).

Thanks in advance.

Minutes used with GV number are counted toward your 700 minutes.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most threads I've run across (and I always click on GV threads) mention that minutes are used and that GV isn't a VOIP solution in and of itself.

If you add your GV number to F&F (if you have it) there are apps that will route your outbound calls via your GV number. Otherwise, outbound calls are made via an access number that is different for every outbound call.

scottsdca

Reaction score
What app do you use to reroute it? I tried using sipdroid but could never figure how to set it up. Lol.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
carguy

carguy

Reaction score
Most threads I've run across (and I always click on GV threads) mention that minutes are used and that GV isn't a VOIP solution in and of itself.

If you add your GV number to F&F (if you have it) there are apps that will route your outbound calls via your GV number. Otherwise, outbound calls are made via an access number that is different for every outbound call.
Links?

What about Skype on my X? If I use my skype account, skype to skype calls dont count toward minutes do they?