Android OS or IPad

fighterpilota

Reaction score
My wife wants to read books and I want a back up GPS system for my boat's navigation system. Do I go with the Apple 3g or an Android capable GPS system? I am aware the prevailing thinking is the Apps for Ipad are many and android apps are playing catch up. Not into games. 78years old. Thanks

kristoff125

Reaction score
My wife wants to read books and I want a back up GPS system for my boat's navigation system. Do I go with the Apple 3g or an Android capable GPS system? I am aware the prevailing thinking is the Apps for Ipad are many and android apps are playing catch up. Not into games. 78years old. Thanks

I've always looked at the iPad as an oversized iPod touch. The honeycomb OS is built for tablets, it takes full advantage of the screen size.

Also, not sure about Nav programs on the iPad, but Android has a LOT of slick apps where you can download the GPS maps for offline usage, as you would probably need if you were out boating.

I am probably biased a bit as I hate Apple products, but the iPad isn't all that magical in my eyes.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love Android software, but I definitely believe Apple has better hardware and more problem free software compared to Android.

Don't get me wrong, I hate how locked down it is, but I have never had an issue with my ipod touch (except it is hard to update and locked down).

CM74DX

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Why buy something so big as a tablet with limited software like Android or iOS ? You can get a Win 7 tablet and have endless possibilities , full desktop messaging applications like Skype , Yahoo or Live Messenger , full web browsers of your choice , Chrome , Firefox , Safari , IE etc. not the striped down mobile versions . Play all the media formats imaginable . Hell if you want you can run any other OS on it , Android , OSX , Linux etc. Full office applications and functionality , networking , development , anything you want .

kristoff125

Reaction score
smokie, there's 2 issues, win7 is a platform that's just not built for tabs, and I'm not sure how many of them support GPS.

DROOIID

Reaction score
Apple ipad 2 now. But if you wait HTC is coming out with a 10 inch tablet that will be a beast.

vernontwg

Reaction score
definetly ipad, i have an android tab, and the apps are nowhere near as polished as the tablet specific apps for iOS

kristoff125

Reaction score
Seeing as how GMaps is full featured and arguably the best available GPS, then things like my tracks by google map out your trip, for GPS I'd say go with Android. As for ebooks, Either one does the same job.

OP
F

fighterpilota

Reaction score
IPad or android

Appreciate the comments. In other readings the comments seem to indicate that although the other systems have a lot of capability they are also experiencing growing pains. Lots of complaints, bloatware, and apps just not there in finished products. A couple months ago i was ready to buy an android system, now ther are 3 or 4 other systems and none are yet fully developed and the bugs out. I may pass on this boating season and see what develops over the next few months leading to the next boating season. My wife will have to read hard copy. Thanks

kristoff125

Reaction score
Just to get it straight, you're looking for a tablet right? not just a 4inch screen?

if so, what are you looking for beyond GPS / ebooks?

I just feel that Android is growing much faster than iOS, and for what you're looking for, like I had said, the GPS features of google maps are unbelievable, and the ebooks are the same on both.

So I tyhink android wins.

OP
F

fighterpilota

Reaction score
android or ipad

Yes, need 10 inch screen. My wife wants to read books and I thought I would get a gps capable one to take with us on the boat to use as backup for NAV. Navionics offers maps/charts to upload and than the GPS works well. I understand can be used without Verizion or AT&T in straight GPS mode. Cheaper than a $2000 to $4000 Garmin for the big screen. My dau. has an Ipad but she didn't get 3G so no GPS capability. It really works well and is easy to use.

kristoff125

Reaction score
backstory: I hate Apple.

I've seen a LOT of awesome offline apps for android, not much experience on android tablets other than the floormodels I've spend hours on, the GPS apps are phenominal, and from what I looked up, in a short amount of time, I don't see much for the iPad, like I said, ebooks are all the same on either, you can even get a nook or kindle at a small fraction of the price of one of these to keep the wife happy. I just see a lot more coming from android than IOS because IOS hasn't changed much in the last 2 years or so, minor things here and there, and android is upgrading like mad every 6 months or so.

I think an android based tab will cost you less, and give you more. Just make sure you get a nice honeycomb tab.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
backstory: I hate Apple.

I've seen a LOT of awesome offline apps for android, not much experience on android tablets other than the floormodels I've spend hours on, the GPS apps are phenominal, and from what I looked up, in a short amount of time, I don't see much for the iPad, like I said, ebooks are all the same on either, you can even get a nook or kindle at a small fraction of the price of one of these to keep the wife happy. I just see a lot more coming from android than IOS because IOS hasn't changed much in the last 2 years or so, minor things here and there, and android is upgrading like mad every 6 months or so.

I think an android based tab will cost you less, and give you more. Just make sure you get a nice honeycomb tab.

Agreed. And Android tabs don't have nearly as many bugs as they would have had they have been made in 2009 or something like that. My Galaxy Tab 10.1 seems to run perfectly as if it's hardware was par with Apple's.

If you want something simple, gives you less, almost needs wifi or data, but runs pretty much flawlessly, get the iPad 2.

Otherwise, get Android.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums