Android needs 10 more things until they establish themselves as the best mobile OS.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Don't know. I still don't understand all that. All my music is at least 192 bits. From tunewikki, I can quickly and easily sort music by playlist, artist or album, so it sounds just as quick as making your "smart playlists".

So what you are saying is that you are already using a music database program. It just doesn't have as many features as some. Hold in mind that most of these programs {including iTunes if you set it up that way} will let you dump your music into any set of folders you want. All the work is done in a database that references the actual files.

I could just copy paste the top level iTunes music folder too (if it would fit). I find syncing to be less trouble and faster.

The smart playlist looks just like a playlist, and you use it just like a playlist, to play a subset of the songs in your collection. You can do this manually by sorting and selecting, of course. Heck, you could do that for normal playlists, painful as it would be. The idea is to set up common sorts and selections so that you don't have to do it over every time you want to listen to that group of songs. It is only useful if you have groups of songs that you listen to often, you add songs to often, and can be grouped by some attribute. Some people don't and some people do.

I'm not trying to convince you that you need to do this. Only that there is a case for it and that others can and do find uses for these features. I have little use for many of the features available on my phone and computer, but I have no trouble imagining the uses they could be put to.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I think what android needs is a file manager that is native to android, apart of of the os!

techRob

Reaction score
What is it with people's fascination with iTunes? It is bloated, slow and a PIA. Exactly how hard is it to drag and drop files to and from a phone?
Co-Signed. Everytime someone mentions their "itunes" to me, or asks me: "Well, how do you get music on your computer without iTunes?" ... i want to bang my head against a wall :(

bigee1212

Reaction score
what android really needs is hardware acceleration. especially on devices like the D1 that have a dedicated gpu, it would def be a noticeable speed improvement in transitions. otherwise, most of those reasons are w/e as everyone here said i bought an android not an iphone.

what really sucks is if hardware acc. comes with android 2.3, there is no guarantee D1 will see it as an official update...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that you are already using a music database program.

Actually, no. I create playlists from the stock music player. Can sort/search by artist, playlist and album. When you rip music, I assume you use some sort of database to tag. If you don't, it's just trading one headache for another.

I can imagine what you are talking about. The benefits seem dubious. It would be WAYYYY down the list of things I'd like to see with Android.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Co-Signed. Everytime someone mentions their "itunes" to me, or asks me: "Well, how do you get music on your computer without iTunes?" ... i want to bang my head against a wall :(
I actually had that question asked to me tonight. :icon_eek:

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Actually, no. I create playlists from the stock music player. Can sort/search by artist, playlist and album. When you rip music, I assume you use some sort of database to tag. If you don't, it's just trading one headache for another.

Except for a few old CDs my music isn't ripped. That means almost all my files include populated ID3 headers. I almost never have to enter any info about the song. Additional info is gathered from the store's database like album artwork and song descriptions. User interaction is also recorded giving you rating and play history. I can be entertaining and educational just browsing through all the info stored about each song.

It is also more info than most people need or want. But some of us do want it and find uses for it, like cutting out most of the work of doing playlists by building them on the computer instead of on the phone.