Android M Release Time, Internal Code-name & Other Details Revealed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mnc_Stacked.png

Get ready for this folks... Android M's internal codename is rather unwieldy... Macadamia Nut Cookie (MNC). Of course, sometimes the internal codename for Android doesn't end up mirroring the retail marketing name that the OS is finally dubbed, so it is entirely possible that name will change.

Really though, as Shakespeare's own Juliet once queried... "What's in a name?" For most Android fans, what matters is what the OS can do for us, not whatever marketing slogan adorns its cover. Luckily, we have a few hints regarding that for you today as well, including the release timeframe, which is probably sometime in August. On top of that, Android M will supposedly be more memory and energy-efficient. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Google wants to cut location check-ins when possible, and reduce RAM usage as well by further limiting activity when a device’s screen is off. These moves should fix RAM issues on certain devices and improve battery life at the same time. Google will reportedly explain the new performance improvements in greater detail at Google I/O.

A developer preview of Android M will be available for testing after I/O, just like Android Lollipop last year. The final release date for Android M is now said to be sometime in August, which would be much earlier than Google’s usual fall launches for major Android updates.

What do you guys and gals think?

Source: BGR (1) & (2)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't hate many things.

If this becomes official, I will hate with great gusto.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't hate many things.

If this becomes official, I will hate with great gusto.
But with you we know hate means love, so we're all good with you!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No. No no...this one really is hate.

COOKIES AND NUTS ARE GROSS (together)!!!! :D :D

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling folks will feel the name about the same as they do the update itself. I've never heard 1 complaint about the name lollipop but gobs about the update itself. Kit Kat got a pretty good response both for the name and update itself, Gingerbread was neutral on name but a horrid update.
Macadamia Nut Cookie? Really? There are so many other desserts and sweets that start with M. I just hope the update is better than the name and isn't just a rehash of lollipop with an ios9 flair with a mild attempt at Windows8

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm sticking with Marshmallow..

BigOrangeDroid

Reaction score
Never knew there was such a thing.

By the way, one poster said Marshmallow ... probably a good guess, but open to joking about a "soft" OS. ;)