Android Lollipop 5.1 Supposedly Has a Memory Leak that Google Already Fixed Internally

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-5-1-memory-leak-fix.jpg

It looks like a bug slipped past the engineers at Google when they released the Android 5.1. The bug is ironic because it is one of the main reasons's the Android 5.1 update was created to begin with. It's a new memory leak. According to the report, Google is not only aware of the issue, they have supposedly already fixed it internally, but have yet to send out the fix. Google listed it as a “Future Release”, which likely means it will show up as an Android 5.1.1 or something similar.

We will keep you posted if we find out more. In the mean-time, feel free to let us know if you have experienced the memory leak issues that other folks have reported.

Source: Issue 159738 - android - Memory leak still present on android 5.1 - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Back to 4.4.4 I go. Apple is looking so much better right now. Kind of sick of fighting my current phone to working properly.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
All these issues with lollipop... Shame. For all the improvements these bugs are killing it.
Sad but true. I am almost ready to give up on Android, because as my bosses and roomy put it, Apple just works. I love all the fun things I can do with Android, but Google really needs to get better control of their products.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sad but true. I am almost ready to give up on Android, because as my bosses and roomy put it, Apple just works. I love all the fun things I can do with Android, but Google really needs to get better control of their products.
Ask people how the iOS 8.0 update went...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think apple people give them a pass because it's apple. Whereas Android people just expect more because of Apple.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed with these comments about iOS. Don't fall prey to "the grass is always greener" syndrome @grenefroggie! ;)

Reactions: cr6

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
No one in my circle of friends had trouble with it. And yes, in my personal opinion, it is much better when it comes to necessary things like iCloud backups.

Don't get me wrong, I love Android, but Apple is still looking better.

For me, the only argument I need is iCloud. No matter what half baked solution Android devs have come up with, I want similar backup solutions as iCloud. There is nothing built in to Android that can compete. Set and forget.

That said and done, no smartphone OS is perfect. Each has their ups and downs. I am just supremely frustrated at the moment.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, I missed a few posts here. I REALLY don't want to turn this into an Apple v Andy thread... but Froggie... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!
A) I am NOT a fanboi
B) I actually like Apple products
But again.... Are you kidding me? iCloud is your argument? iCloud.... My wife has an iPhone. On her second one now. On her first one, OMG, iCloud drove us crazy because Apple only gives you 5GB of free space.With a new baby at home, she filled that thing up so fast, it was crazy. Then Apple CONSTANTLY bugging her "Your iCloud is full! Want more space? Only $25!"
Hated it.

For backups? It's not iCloud that works great for that. It is iTunes, my friend. Take it from the guy that supports iPhone at home :) and at work. I've been upgrading people's iPhones since that very first one. I NEVER use iCloud. Always iTunes. As much as I hate iTunes (CONTROL-B brings up the menu bar, Apple? B? What does B stand for. Wouldn't M for MENU have been better?)
And I will agree it works well because if you do it right (you often have to backup and backup again to get everything before restoring to a new phone) it brings the ever crucial APP DATA over.
But it also takes FOREVER.
I hate switching iPhones for people...

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I am just moaning to moan. With all the 5.0.2 issues I have been having, the grass does look greener. I can't afford a new phone anyway. Everyone I know uses iCloud. Everyone I know pays for more storage. iDevices in my household outnumber Android devices. I totally understand where you are coming from.

I am just frustrated. I am also sick, which could be scratching my agitated side as opposed to my accepting side.