Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yea but that would be a tough call, because Java (IE: Java Beans, coffee) had been around a lot longer before Java the company was formed.
I can see you would NEVER make it as an intellectual property lawyer (and that's a compliment!). ;)

-Matt

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I can see you would NEVER make it as an intellectual property lawyer (and that's a compliment!). ;)

-Matt

lol I know what you mean, but I think I actually would make a great one. In the first place, the word Java should never have been allowed to be copyrighted as it is a 'common' referral, its like trying to trademark or copyright the word 'coffee'. Just like flight 93 passenger Mark Bingham's wife tried to copyright/trademark the words 'Let's roll' which failed ridiculously

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
lol I know what you mean, but I think I actually would make a great one. In the first place, the word Java should never have been allowed to be copyrighted as it is a 'common' referral, its like trying to trademark or copyright the word 'coffee'. Just like flight 93 passenger Mark Bingham's wife tried to copyright/trademark the words 'Let's roll' which failed ridiculously
OK, you convinced me. Setup that Paypal "going to lawschool" account and I'll pitch in $10!

-Matt

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
OK, you convinced me. Setup that Paypal "going to lawschool" account and I'll pitch in $10!

-Matt

lol trying to seperate the sarcasm from anything else in there if there is <g> Either way, since its not going to happen as they already settled on Jelly Bean. There is a fine line when it comes down to trademarks and copyrights, a copyright is supposed to be an original idea/design. That's why you see so many knock off products with similar but not exact names. What immediately comes to mind, and I know this is a stupid example, but if you saw the movie "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy, he worked at McDowells ... but anyways... I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know the finer points and you are probably president of the American bar association so I'm just gonna shut up :)

sarreq

Reaction score
I for one dislike the name Jelly Bean. Its not a desert, its a candy. there are a couple of deserts that do come to mind that would be way better than candy. Ice cream sandwich i think was forced because not really much option there, but lets stop making it the obvious names. 0.o Thats just my opinion. i think they could even get creative and call it java cake.
It's not dessert, it's sweets. Donuts aren't necessarily dessert either. they could easily go with N = Nougat, P = Pancake and/or W = Waffle

sarreq

Reaction score
I agree to a point, I like your suggestion of Java Cake, Ie: Coffee Cake . Jelly Bean is Borderline, Jelly Roll could have been an option, I think they were looking for 'ear candy' .. Jelly Bean sounds good .. but yea, a little more creativeness on their part wouldn't hurt.
but Jelly Bean let's them co-market with Jelly Belly! :icon_eek: :blink: :icon_rolleyes:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but Jelly Bean let's them co-market with Jelly Belly! :icon_eek: :blink: :icon_rolleyes:

As long as it's not a Black Jelly Bean Android.... I HATE black jelly beans :icon_ nana: (that is the closest emoticon to one that was puking black jelly beans) hahaha

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
As long as it's not a Black Jelly Bean Android.... I HATE black jelly beans :icon_ nana: (that is the closest emoticon to one that was puking black jelly beans) hahaha

Ditto with black jelly beans, and jelly bean is a generic term...

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading this update a little differently from everyone else, but the comment:

"the “game-changing stuff” that had originally been scheduled for Ice Cream Sandwich is now being pushed to Jelly Bean"

has my blood near-boiling. Am I reading this right?!?! This looks like the exact same line *we were fed with Gingerbread, and then Honeycomb. OK, not the exact same line, but the same rationale: "The NEXT release will fix all the problems of the past!!!" Honeycomb was supposed to be the perfect tab OS, but then like every other version of Android individual manufacturers added layers on top, creating fragmentation. "But WAIT, Ice Cream Sandwich will UNIFY the Android ecosystem! Phones and tablets will leave together harmoniously!"

And now we hear that it ISN'T ICS...it's the next release instead. ARGH. I'm starting to feel like Charlie Brown getting punked over and over by Lucy. :censored:

-Matt

I'm glad you typed this, because I was scrolling down and saw nothing but name jokes....

I can't handle all these OS that can't handle the business that the previous one was suppose to have done! That sentence right there tells me that if this is true, I should just hold off until Android is finally "workable" and look elsewhere for my next replacement phone. I like the OG Droid I have had since launch date....but there's a lot to be desired and I'm kinda tired of the "just wait" mentality

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, i didn't even think about Oracle when i said Java Cake. I meant the cinnamon like treat you have with coffee. I love the double meaning though, i like Java cake better already. And I don't mean to sound like a hater of Jelly Beans, but they are on my lower end of good candies. on the other hand read this: "In the semiconductor industry, a "jelly bean" component is one which is widely available, used generically in many applications, and has no very unusual characteristics—as though it might be grabbed out of a jar in handfuls when needed, like jelly beans. For example, the 741 might be considered a jelly bean operational amplifier." so their could technically be a double meaning by google. I honestly like Java Cake. Its plainly obvious google ripped Oracles software already, why stop at their? :p[h=2][/h]

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Google's laywers are looking at that 100mil license offer and wishing it was still good. A measly 100million dollars could have saved all the hassle. 0.o