Android for 15-year old, first smartphone

joan3

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading all the different posts on potential new Android phones, trying to determine which one would work best for my 15-year old son. We visited a Verizon store yesterday and the ones he likes best are:

Droid Charge
Samsung Fascinate

He didn't like the Droid X2 or Revolution as much.

His brother (20 y.o. technopro) has told him that the Thunderbolt is really the only phone he should consider. However, the 15-year old has different needs than the 20 year old. He will use the phone to (in order): 1. Text; 2. Check his Facebook; 3. Listen to music; 4. Talk occasionally. He's not a technowiz, I'm sure he's not going to root it or anything, he really just needs something with a nice interface and screen and easy texting (and yes, I've tried to talk him into a feature phone instead, but he has been mowing lawns to save up for the monthly service plan changes so he can be cool like his friends).

Other variables: we live in a 4G area, and the phone needs to last for 2 years until we can upgrade. I'm planning to get them on Amazon, so prices for these phones are within our budget.

My main concern with the Thunderbolt is the reported poor battery life. The Charge seems to have a nicer (brighter) screen and a longer battery. I think a 3G phone would be fine for his needs now, but I'm worried that in 2 years it may not.

Any thoughts? Experiences with these 2 phones that would be helpful?

Thanks.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading all the different posts on potential new Android phones, trying to determine which one would work best for my 15-year old son. We visited a Verizon store yesterday and the ones he likes best are:

Droid Charge
Samsung Fascinate

He didn't like the Droid X2 or Revolution as much.

His brother (20 y.o. technopro) has told him that the Thunderbolt is really the only phone he should consider. However, the 15-year old has different needs than the 20 year old. He will use the phone to (in order): 1. Text; 2. Check his Facebook; 3. Listen to music; 4. Talk occasionally. He's not a technowiz, I'm sure he's not going to root it or anything, he really just needs something with a nice interface and screen and easy texting (and yes, I've tried to talk him into a feature phone instead, but he has been mowing lawns to save up for the monthly service plan changes so he can be cool like his friends).

Other variables: we live in a 4G area, and the phone needs to last for 2 years until we can upgrade. I'm planning to get them on Amazon, so prices for these phones are within our budget.

My main concern with the Thunderbolt is the reported poor battery life. The Charge seems to have a nicer (brighter) screen and a longer battery. I think a 3G phone would be fine for his needs now, but I'm worried that in 2 years it may not.

Any thoughts? Experiences with these 2 phones that would be helpful?

Thanks.

Don't get the Fascinate, it is older and won't be supported for long. The charge is a good phone, just make sure it is not too big for his hands. The charge has the best battery life of every android device ever released, which will help with his use case.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
Since he likes the Charge and the Fascinate, I'd get the Charge. Although, any smart phone will fit his needs.

I agree, charge is a much better phone than the fascinate, and battery life on the Tbolt is still a cconcern, though better after last week's update. The other one to consider for a 15 year old thoug is the commando. Not as high end specs, but virtually indestructable.

You should still get insurance because teens lose things, but you won't be paying a deductable every time he falls off his bike or his friends throw him in the pool :)

Alan

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
If your teen is into text as much as mine, they might like a keyboard. Mine has the Ally. Though not cutting edge, It was cheap and keeps up with the 4,000 texts a month.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
If your teen is into text as much as mine, they might like a keyboard. Mine has the Ally. Though not cutting edge, It was cheap and keeps up with the 4,000 texts a month.

Not this. Don't need a keyboard for texting. It is a myth. The ally will not give him his desired "cool" factor. It will be too slow for a lot of the cool apps.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Droid noob

Reaction score
Did he look at the incredible 2. I've had it for a few weeks and love it! It's not 4g either but it just come out and seems to have very few bugs compared to the thunderbolt.

Sent 2 u via Incredible 2

Hobn

Reaction score
I'm a week from 15, and I got a Droid X last summer. Definitely get a phone that your son really, really likes, because 2 years is a long time. I'm already tired of my phone, but older phones have the benefit of more community development, mainly ROMs, which are better than they seem. There's really no disadvantage to them either, but if your son gets into the technical stuff, make sure he does his research and backups.
In short, make sure he picks a phone that is perfectly tailored to his current and possibly new needs, and that there is no unnecessary haste. As for short battery life, I bought 2 spares on Amazon for $5 each, and they're great, although I don't know if they have similarly priced batteries for other phones. Finally, I'd say any phone that doesn't have 4g or a dual core CPU is going to get outdated in no time. But most importantly, get a phone small enough to fit in his pockets! I bought new pants just to be able to put my phone in my pants, and I'm having a really hard time finding more beyond two. Definitely stick with side pockets, it is soooook awkward taking a big phone out of a pocket that faces straight up, unless it's small and the phone sticks out.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

soulshot96

Reaction score
I'm 14 and have a fascinate I like It but that's only b/c of the screen and root access. I'd get the charge or the incredible 2.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
Im 14 and im getting the Xperia play My only need is Gaming on my smartphone but Texting and others as a side and this phone has it all Except 4g :(

tonydelite

Reaction score
I'm 6 months old and I use an OG Droid. It's great for texting all my other toddler friends. The keyboard has the perfect spacing for my infantile fingers.

dark juggalo

Reaction score
I got my 13yr old a droid because of the keyboard...it lasted about 30min before she was on the touchpad and telling me it was easier to use..used my TB to text one of her friends and now wants a gingerbread keypad..just goes to show you how adaptable kids are..the only thing I would realy give thought to would be if I wanted 4g or not.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
I must be in the minority, but my question is why does a 15 yr old need a smart phone??