Android file format for stock Alert Sounds

Reaction score
I was wondering what file format the Alert/Notification sounds that come on Android phones, are in. Everytime I tried to google it I would just get a list of all the sound/music formats supported by android, but never just the format that the stock sounds are in. So can someone help me out with this. or is it different for different brand of phones. I didn't think it was, i figured all android phones used the same file formats, but you never know, so I figured I would ask. But either way, if someone could tell me what file format the notification/alert sounds are in, it would be much appreciated

oh and just in case it is different for some phone makers, I am currently rocking the LG Revolution (which I am hella digging. Gonna be trading it in tho as soon as the Quad-Core Tegra3 Equipped phones come out, can't wait !)

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure on others... But on the dx the stock sound are in ogg

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Not really sure.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure on others... But on the dx the stock sound are in ogg

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

I believe its the same....could be wrong though, never checked.

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it's the same too. And now that you said .ogg, I remember it now, that's what it was on my Droid X and Droid 2 Global, and my Buddies HTC Something or Other ( can't remember which one it was, it was a AT&T one). So I am pretty sure it's the same for Android all across the board. But I guess I could plug my phone into my computer and open up the folder containing the sound files and check the format. Don't kno why I didn't think of that first before posting this lol

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it's the same too. And now that you said .ogg, I remember it now, that's what it was on my Droid X and Droid 2 Global, and my Buddies HTC Something or Other ( can't remember which one it was, it was a AT&T one). So I am pretty sure it's the same for Android all across the board. But I guess I could plug my phone into my computer and open up the folder containing the sound files and check the format. Don't kno why I didn't think of that first before posting this lol

Because you're crazy! Haha! :p
.ogg on my ThunderBolt as well.

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
CRAZY LIKE A FOX ! IN A BOX, WITH CHICKEN POX ! hahahha that's a million dollar rhyme right there, someone pass me a mic ! I gotta bust a move son !

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
hahaa, isn't that from the Chappelle's Show (spelling ?) when their making fun of P.Diddys or Diddy or Puffy or whatever the hell he wants to be called now. But they were making fun of the reality show Making the Band that P. Widdy Diddy, made and stared in, and that one dude with the hella thick accent from some African Country, I SPIT HOT FIRE ! hahaha''

EDIT - I can't seem to find the folder that the stock sounds and ringtones is in. Which folder is that, anyone know ? And it would be in the internal drive right (When you plug your phone in, its brings up the two removable drives, Internal and SD Card)

just dawned on me that I will prolly need to be rooted to gain access to that and since I Just got my phone last week, I haven't done that yet. Anyone know if z4root will work with the LG Revo ? That's what I used for both my D2G and my DX

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hahaa, isn't that from the Chappelle's Show (spelling ?) when their making fun of P.Diddys or Diddy or Puffy or whatever the hell he wants to be called now. But they were making fun of the reality show Making the Band that P. Widdy Diddy, made and stared in, and that one dude with the hella thick accent from some African Country, I SPIT HOT FIRE ! hahaha''

EDIT - I can't seem to find the folder that the stock sounds and ringtones is in. Which folder is that, anyone know ? And it would be in the internal drive right (When you plug your phone in, its brings up the two removable drives, Internal and SD Card)

Yep! Haha! "I'm Dylan (Die-lon) and I spit that hot fire!" CLASSIC!!!

Hmmm...it turns out that, in my /system/media/audio/notifications, that all of mine are in .mp3 format..?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Here's how it is on my ThunderBolt:

/system/media/audio/alarms: mp3
/system/media/audio/notifications: mp3
/system/media/audio/ringtones: mp3
/system/media/audio/ui: ogg and mp3

Last edited:
OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
I am assuming your phone is rooted cause I don't have access to the system folder. I haven't rooted yet like I said. I need to find a guide on how to do it on this one. I was happy to find out that the Bootloader i indeed unlocked tho ! So custom ROM galore for sure ! I was disappointed to find out that this didn't have gorilla glass as i was told. But oh well. And whats funny is even tho its a 4.3" display, the LG website only says its 3.0" which is hella wrong. I know it 4.3" for sure cuse i put it up against my old DX and its the exact same size. I think its funny that LG can't put the proper technical information for their phones on their website lol

EDIT - hahah, DIE-LON ! That's right. That episode was so friggin funny. They have a new show on Comedy Central that is just like Chappelle Show. Called "Key and Peele" and its two black dudes, who come out and talk to the audiene and then show pre-recorded comedy sketches just like on Chappelle show. Exactly like it in fact. It's pretty damn funny too. At least the Episode I saw last nite was.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Absolutely rooted...won't own a phone that isn't (harder to theme that way :p)

LG..... :icon_censored:

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rooting the revo is pretty easy... got my brother in law's running gingervolt... and he loves it