SD card suddenly bad?

huskur

Reaction score
OK guys, whats up with this? I heard the "drooiiid" sound and looked at my phone (i have nothing set to ring/alert for that sound) and i saw a little SD card symbol on the top left of phone. I looked at Astro and everything was gone (not accessable at least). So i booted several times, removed the card itself and booted after a battery pull and still nothing. So i took the card out and put it in (several) different readers and nothing would recognize it. In the phone it would say "unsupported SD card" and ask me to format it. I would select format (knowing it would erase everything) and it wouldn't even do that. Weird

Do SD cards go bad? Can i still retrieve information off of it? If so, How?

I know now. Just as a hard drive for your PC gets backed up, you should really do it for your phone to!:icon_eek:

meishkov

Reaction score
That is weird. Only thing I can think of is if your running a swap partition, which is constantly writing to the SD card, but eventually That block will become unusable, since you can only read/write data to a certain part of media only so many times before it gets worn out. But, if your not running the swap partition, then I'm not sure. Unless someone else used your phone and deleted the SD without you knowing, by accident or not. Since there is an option to delete SD in one of the menu, settings menus, which isn't that tough to find and come across. I've never used it, So not sure if it would do it immediately as you click on It or not. Don't know what else to tell you man. I'd be really ticked if my SD just got deleted. Now I think I'm gonna make a backup of it sometime in the not so distant future. :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

armedpropaganda

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I think it's a known issue, albeit not a common one.

The card is corrupted. The phone won't read it, computer won't read it in the phone, and a separate card reader won't work.

Verizon has been replacing them as far as I know. They'll tell you to call Sandisk first, but the one packaged with the phone isn't a sandisk. If you're under warranty, call customer service. They sent me a brand new 16gb Sandisk card.

As far as your files, they're gone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

PhoebeAnn

Reaction score
Had a similar experience with a Motorola Droid. Hung in boot until I removed the SD card. Tried to format it on my desktop Windows 7 Home Premium machine, and it crashed Windows Explorer. Tried on my Laptop W7 Ultimate, and quick-formatted OK, but the phone still wouldn't boot. Full-formatted it and everything seems to work OK.

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
This SD card just stopped. I got the message in the notification bar while sending a text. Weird. Tried to access it and nothing. Everything gone.