Android are dumb phones.

xtor

Reaction score
This is a long article. Funny thing here in California I see alot of welfare people with iphones so these people must be making large purchases with their cash aid.... From Black Friday through Christmas Day, one of the big mysteries of the mobile commerce business played out again, for all to see:

Apple users on iPhone and iPad accounted for five times what Google's Android users did*when it comes to online shopping.

That phenomenon is bizarre when you consider that the vast majority — as many as 80% in some surveys — of all smartphone users are Android owners.

It doesn't make any sense.

Google's mobile users outnumber Apple's*all over the place, but Apple users are the ones spending all the money.*iOS users spent $93.94 per order, nearly twice that of Android users, who spent just $48.10.

What the heck is wrong with Android users?

Android people just seem to be sitting on their hands. Their phones are just as powerful as iPhones are. They have bigger screens, too. But they don't do anything with them. At least not financially.

We asked Google for comment. We'll update this post if the company gets back to us.

In the meantime, we turned to Simon Khalaf, CEO of Flurry, one of the larger mobile ad companies, to see if he had seen the same phenom in his business. He had a surprising answer for us: Androids are simply dumbphone replacement devices, and treated as such, he says. Despite the features at their fingertips, Android people use their phones for calling, texting and playing Bejeweled. They ain't shopping.

The Android cloud does have a silver lining. But before we get to that, it's worth hearing Khalaf out in full:

We have seen and published reports that an Android user is worth 1/4 of an iOS user, but that is based on virtual goods sales (mainly games).*The IBM data*seems to suggest that this is almost the same ratio for sales of physical goods (m-commerce).

I have done some anecdotal analysis on my own on some large specific e-commerce apps and found almost the same ratio of sales -- Basically one iOS user buys four times more than an Android user. But the analysis was on specific apps and not exhaustive, so we didn't say much.

As far as the main reason, we have theories -- but hard to validate. Main theory is that some Android devices are simply replacement of feature phones and not used as a smartphone, especially in the U.S. That big of a ratio is perplexing, but it is what it is. I don't have any reason to doubt IBM's data. Our data seems to be saying the same thing.

This is one reason why Apple isn't exactly panicking over the rise of Android in the East. Android users just aren't lucrative users for app developers, and app developers want to be in a media/commerce-rich environment, which right now is iPhone.

But there's a flip side to this: Imagine that the mobile business is an island, currently under development. Apple has essentially built a gleaming steel-and-glass tower on 20% of the mobile island that it owns. But Google owns the other 80%, and that land is undeveloped countryside. Who has the bigger opportunity in front of it? In the long-run, it's Google.

But in the short-run, it seems like the users on the majority of the island aren't interested in modern life.

8th Infantry division

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most people I know who are financially responsible and have good credit history use android phone. Those that I know who have financial problems/irresponsible have iPhone because they see it as a status symbol.

Something tells me android users aren't as impulsive buyers as iPhone users are or maybe iPhone are for rich and androids are for poor.

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
Most people I know who are financially responsible and have good credit history use android phone. Those that I know who have financial problems/irresponsible have iPhone because they see it as a status symbol.

Something tells me android users aren't as impulsive buyers as iPhone users are or maybe iPhone are for rich and androids are for poor.

I see the same thing, people with no money buying iphones for the status.

8th Infantry division

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People with jobs use Android and don't have time to spend their welfare checks buying online bling. :D
Calls and texts only huh? I went from ios to Android so I could use my device for business because my iPad just couldn't do the tasks I needed to do.
My oldest daughter recently switched from Android to an iPhone because she's a sheep. Her friends said iPhone is better for texts, Picwhatever and Facebook, so she switched. When my wife can't do the task needed on her iPad she gets me to do it and I do so on my Note2 or Note8.
One thing about bean counters and poll takers. They can manipulate numbers to sit their desired result and usually do. iSheep will always find ways to "prove" they are correct. Android fanboys will what's find ways to "prove" they are also correct.
Nothing new under the sun

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The real issue seems like a misuse of funds. Now I am not one who believe only a certain class of people can have something nice. I mean you can get an older iPhone for 200-300. So I will not be so arrogant to say that just because you can afford an iPhone then you should be good in life. Buying an iPhone is not the same as buying a Benz. But we do have a lot of people just working the system getting something free because they can and not caring to try and get it on their own.

note 2 running kit kat

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
The real issue seems like a misuse of funds. Now I am not one who believe only a certain class of people can have something nice. I mean you can get an older iPhone for 200-300. So I will not be so arrogant to say that just because you can afford an iPhone then you should be good in life. Buying an iPhone is not the same as buying a Benz. But we do have a lot of people just working the system getting something free because they can and not caring to try and get it on their own.

note 2 running kit kat

This is more true then ever!

8th Infantry division

thefuture

Reaction score
iPhone goine down hill

I do not know where you are coming up with this stuff, but you are way wrong and you are miss leading others here. Apple needs to be worried. .. They are going down hill. Unless they come up with the idea of bigger screen and stop charging for everything, people will continue to switch to android. Android has way more features, apps and quality then the iPhone...

thefuture

Reaction score
Thank you. Finally a person who knows what he's talking about...