Android 5.0 Lollipop's 4 Worst Issues

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dropped-lollipop-in-the-dirt.jpeg

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop is one of Google's largest and most ambitious new Android OS upgrades in quite some time, that doesn't mean it is flawless. In fact, there are several problems/changes with Lollipop which some would argue are a step backwards for Google. This is on top of the fact that the initial rollout was a bit buggy.

This makes for a good conversation topic as we can "arm-chair" dissect Google's decisions to try and figure out what they were thinking with these relatively minor mis-steps. Here are the four most glaring problems with Android 5.0 Lollipop:
  1. No Silent Mode with Volume Rocker - This is definitely one of the most talked about issues with Lollipop, if not "the" most talked about problem. It had us scratching our heads trying to figure out what Google was thinking on this one. Why change what worked fine before into something that is now more complicated... why fix what isn't broken. Yes, they added the Priority Mode, but that creates extra steps to actually turn the phone to vibrate or silent, when a few presses of the volume rocker got you there before. On top of this over-complication, this segues into our next biggest complaint, which is that Priority Mode doesn't always work! Read on...
  2. Apps Can "Hijack" Priority Mode - So, why have a Priority Mode at all, if some of your apps can over-ride its settings? Perhaps it's just a bug, or simply developers figuring out sneaky ways to bypass a security flaw, but this basically makes Priority Mode utterly useless. Google... Please give us back Silent Mode with the volume rocker!
  3. No Lock Screen Widgets - Here's another head-scratcher. We were able to create widgets for the lock screen before Lollipop... why would Google take that feature away? This seems almost like a parent taking the cool toys away right after giving them. Just a bad move Google!
  4. Recent Tasks Switcher is Too Complex - Besides the fact that the new recent tasks switcher is too crowded, its functionality is also too convoluted. What makes it worse is that the cards will stay with you even after you reboot your phone because there is no "clear all" capability. That means you have to manually swipe away the ones you don't like which is tedious and time-wasting.
These are the main gripes we have with Lollipop, but there might be more. For the most part, we love the new UI and most of the new functions. Overall, it's a fantastic OS with great performance and an "easy on the eyes" new interface. Despite that, Google really needs to address these concerns going forward.

What other improvements do you wish for in a future update?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm kind of dreading lollipop for the turbo.. Its like wanting to get something new to screw up your phone....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree. I hate to be that old dude that doesn't like change, but....in this case I don't like change. :D Normally I LOVE change!
But-
I am SO happy with KK on my Turbo (as we discussed in the thread in that forum). Lollipop bring no MUST HAVES for me.
I'm going to keep pressing "Ask Me Later" as long as I can. I've sent an email to my Android staffers to do the same for the time being on the S5's, G3's and Moto X's. For now...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've read that in an upcoming patch that stuff like silent mode will be returning. I really hope the app switcher gets fixed with a clear all button.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I couldn't believe that Samsung kept lockscreen widgets off of the Note 4. That said, I really don't mind it all that much now that I'm used to not having them. I really only used like the flashlight toggle on the s4, so not a very big deal.

As for the priority mode situation, that one is a head scratcher for sure.

I may be in the minority here, but I like that my Nexus 7 keeps my recent apps in the list after a reboot. Makes it easier to pick up where I left off.

However, I still, to this day, have to remind myself to even use the recent apps key, even though Samsung replaced the menu key with that one. It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm switching back and forth to copy info/etc from one app to another, I use it, but when I'm casually using my phone and find myself headed back to an app that I was just using not long ago, I have to consciously remember to use the switcher.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The biggest problem with Lollipop is that Google is not in control of its rollout. They need to put their foot down and demand that any skins and carrier bloat must be an optional sideload/download to Google's stock firmware.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I've read that in an upcoming patch that stuff like silent mode will be returning. I really hope the app switcher gets fixed with a clear all button.

Fixed in 5.1. I thought it was fixed in 5.0.2
This could explain the delay, as well.

Google s Android 5.1 to begin official rollout in February 2015 Update promises fixes to major issues

Please wait for 5.1 Moto!!

I couldn't believe that Samsung kept lockscreen widgets off of the Note 4. That said, I really don't mind it all that much now that I'm used to not having them. I really only used like the flashlight toggle on the s4, so not a very big deal.

Agree.

As for the priority mode situation, that one is a head scratcher for sure.
Meh. Not interested in that at all.

I may be in the minority here, but I like that my Nexus 7 keeps my recent apps in the list after a reboot. Makes it easier to pick up where I left off.
You are. :D I do wish the Turbo had the Note's CLOSE ALL button. I spend a lot of time closing apps.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry but 3 of those I do not see as issues.

1) silent rocker, works fine for me. I like what google is doing with that and it has grown on me. I personally when I set it on silent mode only do so because I am sleep, in a movie, in a meeting, or somewhere I do not want to be disturbed. And majority of the time I only want to be on silent mode for a set time. So I like the fact it ask me whether I want to silence all messages or have emergency messages get through (ie priority mode)
2) Lock screen widgets: Understand why people may like them but I like that I can skip the lock screen all together with my smart watch.
3) Recent task switcher is too complex: Yeah for iPhone users maybe. I do wish they add a clear all though.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
just had the update pushed to my nexus 7 FHD, I would not like it on my phone, it's fine on my tablet an these little issues I've noticed seem strange, definitely don't want it on my phone.

I can never understand why they break something or "fix" something that worked just fine, maybe a dev accidentally overlooked something.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

I miss the Samsung lock screen widgets. They were awesome on my Note 3.