Android 5.0.1 Lollipop Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy S4

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s4-lollipop-leak-jan-2015.jpg

It looks like Samsung Galaxy S4 owners will be in for a Lollipop treat sometime soon. A brand new build of Android 5.0.1 Supposedly, the folks who found this leak have already tested it and it appears to be an official firmware. They indicated that the important parts for a daily driver are working fine, including: WiFi, network data, NFC, & Bluetooth.

The file will even flash on several versions of the Galaxy S4. This includes the GT-I9500, GT-I9502, GT-I9508, and the GT-I9508v. This leaked build is so solid, it is likely that Sammy will be announcing an OTA update pretty soon. For those who want to check it out themselves now, check out the source link below for more details.

Source: XDA

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
As I look at those screenshots, I am just so happy I have a Nexus 6 now. That isn't Lollipop, its Touchwiz sitting on top of Lollipop. Thats why I left Samsung in 2013. Nothing ever feels new or different. You don't get the new features in Lollipop because Samsung and many OEMs put their crap on it and don't want Google competing with their 'features'.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
You don't get the new features in Lollipop because Samsung and many OEMs put their crap on it and don't want Google competing with their 'features'.

My old Moto Droid of course had their crap on it, which lasted a few months until I put a custom ROM on it just to get an OS upgrade. But when a buddy handed down his HTC Thunderbolt, it seems things were even worse. He loves their interface, but that phone had a reputation for eating through battery charges. No wonder! Not only was their launcher too complex, there were Verizon-loaded apps running, eating up battery and CPU cycles. I mean, a Blockbuster streaming app...seriously?? It didn't take me long to root that thing, install a custom AOSP ROM, and start clean. Not surprisingly, battery live improved greatly, and I could overclock it quite a bit without killing the battery, and it performed quite well.

Makes me wonder how a Galaxy S4 would perform if given a plain ol' AOSP ROM, vs. their bloat. This might be why I've stuck to Nexus devices, beyond getting faster OS upgrades. I'd rather start plain and add my own bloat, thank you. :D

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Excited to see this, but I'll wait til root before I flash it to my s4