Android 3.0 Roms question.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
When Android 3.0 is released, is the DroidX going to get custom roms with it or not? I'm not sure how the encrypted bootloader affects that kind of stuff, but since we have blurless ROMs and everything, will we be able to get that update when the source is released, or are we stuck on 2.2 until Verizon releases it for us OTA with an updated bootloader or something?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
If they are building from source ROMs for the DX then when 3.0 drops they will still be able to build them. So I think you're safe there.

Sent from somewhere...

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
When Android 3.0 is released, is the DroidX going to get custom roms with it or not? I'm not sure how the encrypted bootloader affects that kind of stuff, but since we have blurless ROMs and everything, will we be able to get that update when the source is released, or are we stuck on 2.2 until Verizon releases it for us OTA with an updated bootloader or something?

Honestly? By the time 3.0 comes out it will probably be close to upgrade time. For me at least. The way /\/\oto moved on Froyo and still had issues, I wouldn't expect 3.0 too soon. The rumors say January and there is a very blurry screen shot out theredancedroid

But, yes, the post above this is probably correct. If they can download it and open from source they should be able to build off that.

JMO:)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. The kernel is a big thing, which can't be changed with the bootloader. Would make it tough, if not almost impossible. If possible, it probably wouldn't be a good experience either.

Sent from my Droid

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. The kernel is a big thing, which can't be changed with the bootloader. Would make it tough, if not almost impossible. If possible, it probably wouldn't be a good experience either.

Sent from my Droid

You have a good point. And if you have some dev's giving up on the DX, like I have seen already, I wouldn't doubt if more follow. I'm still learning stuff and just try to respond with what little I know or have read.

Franky_V

Reaction score
I think the developer in question left the dx in order to pursue his idea of recreating the ui experience (check his site). Prolly much harder on the dx. And choosing the dinc probably wasn't arbitrary either. There are still developers maintaining and creating new roms. If def expect to have gingerroms... Unless that os version happens to suck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk