Android 2.3 Gingerbread NFC Demo

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
nexus-s-nfc-demo.jpg

One of the new features built into Gingerbread is something called NFC (Near Field Communication). While many of believed this would allow your phone to transmit information to other devices, transforming it into a mobile payment machine, this is not the case. The NFC does only one way transmission and appears to function along the same lines as the bar code reader.

We first discovered this yesterday by way of page 333 of Google’s own Gingerbread manual, which happens to mention that the NFC support built into Gingerbread basically allows phones to function as readers, but not as transmitters. Therefore, NFC-enabled Android devices will be able to scan NFC tags, or transmitters, but will not be able to transmit information themselves. In English, that means your shiny new Nexus S won’t be able to act as a credit card due to the fact that it can’t transmit information for NFC readers (potentially ones such as cash registers) to pick up on.

Check out the video below of the Nexus S NFC Demo:

[video=youtube;0KwbM9YVW3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KwbM9YVW3Y[/video]

For all discussions on the Nexus S, be sure to visit: Nexus S Forum - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum

Source: AndroidPolice.com

cucucachu0000

Reaction score
I don't see how this can't be used as a credit card? I think its better this way no one can walkaround with some computer taking in everybodys financial information somehow. This way u swipe it u get a prompt if you would like to pay this person this much u hit yes it send the money over the internet the person at the cash register sees a prompt that the bill was paid and transaction complete.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i believe its reading something like the chips that some credit cards have for express pay.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thats what i assumed but i work in retail and my store has those in the debit machines so...

Edward650

Reaction score
Yeah its almost like the debit card or credit card chips, I can't really explain lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App