Full NFC Capabilities Arrive with Gingerbread Update 2.3.3

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am a little hesitant to jump on this bandwagon. I assume there are safeguards (like turning it on and off only when you need to use it), but other devices in the same vicinity capable of stealing my info is a concern.

On the other hand, as a business traveler I like the potential for apps that would let me select an option and attach the receipt to the proper expense report, or auto-categorize.

And for budgeting purposes, if you started using this regularly you get all kinds of info on type, time and frequency of transactions. "holy cow, I spend $100 on beer every month"

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
And I'm sure they'll have a button (on screen, not physical) to turn off power to the chip, like they have for the wifi, bluetooth, GPS, etc. At least if they don't, I'm sure a dev will make a widget/app to do that in no time.

tcayton49

Reaction score
There are RFID readers that can get the information from the credit cards/drivers license/passport, etc in your wallet/purse from several feet away. If this does have an on/off switch(which i'm sure it will) it could actually be more secure than having physical credit cards.

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
I think some are a little confused by what NFC is. NFC tags can only be read from a maximum of 2 inches. A device isn't going to steal your information by walking past it. Someone would have to touch a NFC reader within 2 inches of the back of your phone which would be a little... creepy if someone did that to you in public.

Though phone security will still be an issue, it's not THAT big of an issue. Just don't lose your phone or leave it somewhere.

If you're still paranoid, there is an option in your settings (same place as Wi-fi and bluetooth) to enable/disable NFC.

Hope this helped some of you guys. :]

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think some are a little confused by what NFC is. NFC tags can only be read from a maximum of 2 inches. A device isn't going to steal your information by walking past it. Someone would have to touch a NFC reader within 2 inches of the back of your phone which would be a little... creepy if someone did that to you in public.

I wouldn't walk around with it enabled. I think it was NCIS that had a show where someone was walking down the street, where bumping into someone is not uncommon (especially if it's a bag or purse loosely hanging at the side), and actively scanning with an RFID reader.

The risk is probably still less than more traditional ways of stealing your CC info, but just throwing it out there.

Might be doubly nice in the future to have a thumbprint scan to enable it, then losing your phone is less of a concern (which seems stupid, but most of us often set the phone down on the table or bar, which you would never do with your wallet, so much easier to forget it)

aRsTwiX

Reaction score

I wouldn't walk around with it enabled. I think it was NCIS that had a show where someone was walking down the street, where bumping into someone is not uncommon (especially if it's a bag or purse loosely hanging at the side), and actively scanning with an RFID reader.

The risk is probably still less than more traditional ways of stealing your CC info, but just throwing it out there.

Might be doubly nice in the future to have a thumbprint scan to enable it, then losing your phone is less of a concern (which seems stupid, but most of us often set the phone down on the table or bar, which you would never do with your wallet, so much easier to forget it)

The range for an RFID reader is several feet. Totally different technologies, but I understand where you are coming from.

collinjm01

Reaction score
I agree with some of the other posts. Our phones lack the updates when they get made!
It seems only the newest google phones are the ones getting updated to the latest software.

Its not always Googles fault...actually rarely ever... its the manufacturer...
take my Fascinate...non-rooted is still on Eclair :\

btw...thanks Samsung :icon_evil:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I must admit I am waiting on my D2 for Gingerbread to be pushed out....may it be 2.3.3 or 2.4 or whatever they are going to dub it.

Reaction score
Yeah, major confusion. So they haven't released 2.3 to phones yet, but are working on 2.4, and in the mean time are also updating 2.3 which isn't even out. My mind is going to explode.

piquat

Reaction score
Same thoughts on the 'everybody should get it at the same time thing'.

Interesting reading the reactions here. Identity theft is running rampant in this country. If you show any concern though, you're just paranoid. Not really arguing one way or the other, just fascinated by the reaction....

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
The reason Apple can release updates to all phones is simple - there is only one phone! And up to now only on one carrier! For Android the code needs to be tweaker for each device. Keyboard or no keyboard? Trackball or no trackball? LED or no LED? Etc.