Android 2.2 - Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droid101

Reaction score
People are talking about wifi tethering being included, and there are concerns that Verizon might cripple that part of Froyo. However, did anyone think that not every phone will get the option?

I point you to the Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers where it says - under Portable Hotspot -
Certain devices like the Nexus One can be turned into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that can be shared with up to 8 devices.
Notice is says "certain devices." Now, I'm not one for paranoia, but that could mean that not all the Android-powered phones who get 2.2 will have the ability to tether. And that could be just the out Verizon needs to put the kibosh on tethering for the Droid.

Of course, someone can correct me, because I'm probably wrong and reading too much into this. :)

In my opinion Verizon has stated publicly that tether will be on the Droid I think Verizon will keep tether on 2.2 but have it locked until you purchase a tether data plan. That seems like the logical more likely option Verizon will choose.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
People are talking about wifi tethering being included, and there are concerns that Verizon might cripple that part of Froyo. However, did anyone think that not every phone will get the option?

I point you to the Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers where it says - under Portable Hotspot -
Certain devices like the Nexus One can be turned into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that can be shared with up to 8 devices.
Notice is says "certain devices." Now, I'm not one for paranoia, but that could mean that not all the Android-powered phones who get 2.2 will have the ability to tether. And that could be just the out Verizon needs to put the kibosh on tethering for the Droid.

Of course, someone can correct me, because I'm probably wrong and reading too much into this. :)

It wouldn't be the out for VZ, it would be the out for Google saying why the Droid doesnt have it in its 2.2 OTA ....

Of course, that just means that now a lot of people would have a reason to root and get a 2.2 with it included, whereas not wanting a custom ROM, etc.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
All 47 pages of this thread are very interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to the topic title.

I certainly don't want to interfere with the in the weeds discussion of mflops and jit support, not to mention kernel vs kernel chest bumping, but wouldn't it make sense to have a thread dealing with the major features of Froyo as described at Google I/O?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
All 47 pages of this thread are very interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to the topic title.

I certainly don't want to interfere with the in the weeds discussion of mflops and jit support, not to mention kernel vs kernel chest bumping, but wouldn't it make sense to have a thread dealing with the major features of Froyo as described at Google I/O?

We were just discussing tether and 2.2. That's right on topic.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
JIT is a major feature in 2.2 : )

Some may not care about speed and mflops but it's definitely part of Froyo and on topic.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty shocked by the attitude by people who have rooted that most people have.

Out of all Android users they account for a fraction of a fraction of 1%.

The rest of us will just keep stock and go 4-5 times faster.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

You reading the same thread?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm pretty shocked by the attitude by people who have rooted that most people have.

Out of all Android users they account for a fraction of a fraction of 1%.

The rest of us will just keep stock and go 4-5 times faster.

Well we all say that and then this guy posts.:rolleyes:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
JIT is a major feature in 2.2 : )

Some may not care about speed and mflops but it's definitely part of Froyo and on topic.

Not saying it isn't, CK. Just noting that there doesn't appear to be a comprehensive thread dealing with the range of features announced today. And as frequently noted, many readers don't have rooted phones and really couldn't care less about the relative performance of one rom vs another.

I certainly have no objection to detailed technical discussions unless they tend to drive away more general readers. In this case, there doesn't appear to be a thread devoted to the major features, enhancements, etc associated with Froyo. I would think that many readers would appreciate such an overview thread in the News Section.

Just my $.02

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would rather have the discussion of ROMS in their section and leave it out of this.

The 2.1 thread was overwhelmed with people posting about rooting and I don't think we need to repeat that discussion.

boostdscoob

Reaction score
You stay unrooted, and we'll continue enjoying things months before you do.
We had 2.1 in what, January?
There's really no reason not to root.. especially with the droid, not even possible to brick.
1% ? That figure is extremely low. Its open source.

snappingfish

Reaction score
thanx for that

There's really no reason not to root.. especially with the droid, not even possible to brick.

See, its great how it works. You get your opinion, and the rest of us have ours. FroYo (2.2) will be faster that your rooted 2.1. Then what?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Everyone stop being so butthurt, grow up. This is a time for happiness not bickering.

2.2 is going to be awesomesauce, lets focus on that eh?

nateccnn

Reaction score

See, its great how it works. You get your opinion, and the rest of us have ours. FroYo (2.2) will be faster that your rooted 2.1. Then what?

Then we root 2.2. Duh.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.