An honest, general question about non-removable batteries

Lerner

Reaction score
So, I still have an original droid. I'll be upgrading soon, though. One of the things that happens occasionally with my droid is that the phone will just hard lock. I can't get it to respond, at all. Sometimes the only solution is to pull the battery, wait a few seconds for all the caps to discharge, then put it back & restart my phone. I thought maybe this only happens because it's an old phone - and this doesn't happen on newer ones. But my wife upgraded to the Samsung Charge, and she tells me it's happened to her once or twice where she had to pull her battery and put it back in to get her phone to respond again. So - what happens if the Razr hardlocks? You can't pull the battery. Is the on-off switch more of a hard on-off and less of a soft one? Just curious...

Androidatic

Reaction score
I was in the Verizon store yesterday and talking to the Motorola rep that was there.

He said to hold both volume buttons and the the power button for 15 seconds to do a restart.

He said that this is a hardware reset and not a software one, so even if the software is frozen this method will force the restart.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Hardware? With a 10 second delay?
Gotta be some sort of subroutine checking for this key combo that runs a timer and then resets. What happens when you/ me get a full system lock up, and nobody's polling this subroutine so it never resets?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Androidatic

Reaction score
I'm only relaying what I was told.

It sounded odd to me as well, but I quizzed the rep for a while about the Razr, Nexus and Android in general and he was pretty knowledgeable. It has to be hardware because if it was software and the software froze, how would you reset?

Xil

Reaction score
They used the same technique for the Moto Xooms, it worked every time i needed it to. People really need to realize that this isn't the first android/moto device that doesn't have a removable battery.