Amzer Hybrid Silicone Skin Jelly Case

PHiZ

Reaction score
[video=youtube;iDC192PjAOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDC192PjAOA[/video]

http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page...del=Motorola+Droid+A855&cat=Cases&skuno=85314

Fommy.com finally has some video of their "Hybrid Silicone Skin Jelly Case." Many people were waiting for info on this case because it was supposed to combine a solid internal structure with a shock-absorbing silicone outer.

Now that there is video up, it does not appear that there is a metal or hard plastic internal structure, and that it is merely a silicone jelly case. Albeit, perhaps a firmer silicone than seen on more traditional silicone cases. Also, it appears that it is only available in an argyle pattern, and not in solid colors.

Looking at the video, it appears that the power, volume, and camera buttons remain covered by a thin layer of material. I'm a little worried that the only thing holding this case on is the very thin silicone strips. I have experienced several silicone cases tearing in the past. Although, again, this appears to be a sturdier silicone judging by the video.

Last edited:
OP
P

PHiZ

Reaction score
I was really hoping that this case would be more like the video for the Motorola Cliq Hybrid Silicone Skin Jelly case.

[video=youtube;9sEC4XgUh0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sEC4XgUh0I[/video]

Lynx

Reaction score
That case looks just like the Epik cases for the blackberries. That was my favorite case, I may have to check those out.

D-Roid

Reaction score
Hi,
Anybody have any input on this case? From the video it looks like a really nice fit. I don't care for the patterns on the case but could live with it. If anybody that has purchased it could comment, that would be awesome! Also, how big of an issue will it be with the 2nd mic being covered up?
Thanks

vtrider159

Reaction score
I may grab one of these and try it out since it's cheap, I ordered a leather top case also so if this one is flimsy, I'll use the leather case.

I don't care about the pattern on the back either and I also do not know where the hole for noise reduction talk comes from, there is only the camera on the back of the case.

I'm in a toss up between a metal case and this one now.

wickedgrip

Reaction score
I actually saw that clip about 2 weeks ago and I really like it, but when I went to order it I noticed that it only had a 2 star rating out of 5 so unless someone has tried it and liked it, Im not ordering it

vtrider159

Reaction score
I just saw that also on amazon while buying blue rays, I bought a monaco metal case and a leather Krusell so that takes care of the phone in and out of work, although I paid almost $70 for both.

OP
P

PHiZ

Reaction score
I have seen what appears to be the same argyle pattern silicone cases on Amazon and eBay. Although, they differ from the pictures of the Amzer cases in that they have a single cutout for the rear speaker. (The Amzer version appears to have small bars over the rear speaker.)

Also, they have the non-Amzer ones here:
http://www.accessorygeeks.com/motorola-droid-silicone-skins.html

Last edited:

Lynx

Reaction score
DCMUGEN88 on ebay has cases like this for other models. I have done business with him before and he said that he will be getting these for the Droid its just when his manufacturer gets him the material. The Epik case for the droid was amazing, and was like 4 or 5 bucks. Best case I have ever used.

D-Roid

Reaction score
Got one

Since I couldn't find much input on this case I just decided to go for it. I got the black one from Fommy.com. I ordered it on a Thursday night and received it the following Wednesday in the mail, not too bad. Anyway, the case fits really well and I really like how the tabs fold over the edges of the phone. It is really secure. However I do have a really big issue with it, the case doesn't have "cutouts" for the Power button on the top, the volume rocker, or the camera button. The "jelly" is raised in those areas to account for the buttons but isn't too forgiving so you have to push down quite hard to power on the phone. Maybe it will "loosen" up over time but I have a feeling I may scrap the case all together or possibly try and notch out cutouts myself with a razor blade over the buttons.

It is possible the issue with the power button could be my phone. I have used other droids and for some reason my power button on the top seems to be "lower" than others, it isn't flush with the outside of the phone but rather a tad bit below the bezel of the phone. So even without a case, I sometimes had to push the power button two or three times before it would unlock... (been thinking about starting a thread to see if others have this issue)...

Oh, I was also concerned about the Argyle pattern on the case, since I got the black one, you can't even really see the Argyle. If you are not within a foot of the phone, it just looks black.

One other nitpicky issue was the "jelly" is peeling just a bit on the side with the usb port. It is peeling on the top and bottom pieces in the same spot. I would assume this is the location where it was attached to the mold or something for manufacturing and when they detached it from the mold it creates this small blemish.

Anyway, my two cents in case someone was looking for a bit more info on this case.