Amazon Music: Channels?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I hate Amazon Music. Trying to give it one more chance before I officially give up on it.
Why can I not find CHANNELS on my phone?

Amazon.com Help About Prime Stations

"You can listen to Prime Stations from your music library on the Amazon website, Fire Tablets, and Amazon Music for PC & Mac. Just open the Prime Music tab and select Prime Stations. Pick a genre and select a station to start continuously streaming Prime songs from that category."

Are you (they) trying to tell me the only device CHANNELS does not work on is an Android phone??? or can I only run channels of my owned music?
I don- get it...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Works fine for me while using Puffin Browser. Flash prevents me from using it in Chrome.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Browser on Phone.... didn't think of that.
I was looking for a way to do it in the app.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Browser on Phone.... didn't think of that.
I was looking for a way to do it in the app.

Yeah the app doesn't have Stations in it. I'm assuming it would have to be a browser with flash support.

Yet another reason I don't regret saying goodbye to Amazon music and hello to Google Play All Access...

I never have used Amazon's music service even though it is bundled with my Prime membership. I don't use their video section either. I just use them for the fast shipping.

Google Music is where it's at for me too. I can use it anywhere in the world, streaming is free with Tmobile, and I even have it installed on a couple of the children's phones as well so they aren't stuck using those stupid Pandora-ish, random music apps and they are using it for free on my account.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I do watch SOME Amazon Instant video, but Prime is all about the shipping for me as well.

I really like some of the Amazon Original content that I've watched lately, but if it's something that's also available on Netflix, I use the latter. Part of that may just be because I'm already so used to the interface and setup for Netflix though.

In any case, I love Google Music. I've been working on actually taking the time to give the thumbs up and down to tracks to see how it adapts to my tastes. It has already been pretty darn good at making a "radio station" from a random song I pick and giving me more to listen to along those lines, but I figure it can only get better the more I let it know what I like vs what I don't.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I've tried them all myself. The Amazon Music is in my wife's name and she hated it after paying for Slacker for some time. Now she's on Spotify. I even uploaded all my music to GMusic to test drive it and I just wasn't that impressed. Not to even mention I don't want to ALSO pay for Music while my wife is, too.
And since Pandora (Free) still works great for me, that's what I use when I want to hear new music. That, and the 17 GB of music on my phone, gets me through. :D
Just thought I'd try Amazon since it is already part of our Amazon Prime and wife isn't using it.

I was actually going to cancel Prime this year and switch to Netflix. (Much better kid stuff). So I did the Netflix trial (again ;) ) and while we were enjoying that I missed the Prime cut off date. LOL So that renewed. So, pretty sure we are going to cancel Amazon this fall. We DO spend a bit on Amazon but really.... it wouldn't kill us to wait longer and sometimes Prime stuff isn't always cheaper.
Not really seeing the value anymore. Netflix is better with movies in just about every category.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just to update for any one interested: Amazon released an update for Android that finally adds channels. I haven't tried it yet so can't comment, but...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just to update for any one interested: Amazon released an update for Android that finally adds channels. I haven't tried it yet so can't comment, but...

When you say "Channels" are you referring to what the Amazon app calls "Stations"? I use the Amazon music app once in a while. The free Prime Stations is cool sometimes. I like how you can skip songs an unlimited number of times and rate them thumbs up / down and it will remember your choices and learnt o play songs you like. It's not perfect, but it's OK for something new to listen to sometimes. I'm not sure what this new update brought or added, looks the same to me, but here is a sample of the "Stations" that are avaialble:

Screenshot_2015-06-19-08-53-22.png

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yes, Sajo. The Android app did not support "Stations" until recently. Unusable to me without that feature.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, Sajo. The Android app did not support "Stations" until recently. Unusable to me without that feature.

OK, gotcha! They may not have been there when you created this thread, but they were definitely there before the most recent update. I can't remember when I started using it, but it's been about 2 - 3 months now. It can't hurt to check it out & see what you think.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Of course there weren't when I started this thread. ;)

A friend told me awhile ago that they did finally add stations. It wasn't the most recent update. I stumbled on this thread and just thought I should update it.

Unfortunately on our Android phones you can't be logged into one Amazon app as one person and another as a different person.

So to use my wife's Prime login I have to lose any Amazon apps I use... ok... it's not really that many. LOL
I will be trying this again soon.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Not sure if you tried it yet @PereDroid , but one more thing I noticed this morning that I like. I downloaded about a dozen songs from the Amazon Prime Music app to my phone last night and made a new playlist. Fired it up this morning on my way to work and the Amazon Music app has AW controls on my watch just like Google Play does: skip, volume, pause, etc.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was just reading that thread, seems pretty cool. So many choices.......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk