Aluminum Battery Can Charge a Smartphone in One Minute

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Scientists at Stanford University. say they have developed an aluminium battery that can charge a smartphone in as little as a minute.

"The battery, which is so flexible it can be folded, could replace alkaline and lithium-ion batteries that are used by millions of people every day according to the Stanford University researchers who developed the new device".

Wired magazine reports that the battery can be charged and recharged thousands of times, and is better for the environment than current widely-used batteries because of its durability.

If you can charge your Smartphone battery in 1 minute with a life of 7500 cycles, would you care if the battery was not removable?

Hop over to WIRED for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I saw this.. And also that sandisk has flash drives for android now.. Finally!!!! A painless way to retrieve and reenter data after an fdr

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Sounds good, but there's nothing said about how long the charge lasts. They do say it has "reasonable capacity" so I'm sure it would at least be on-par with other batteries. Maybe?

I would like to see this in production. Wonder if it'll ever happen.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am very impressed. What a great time to live.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A story like this pops up at least once a year that talks about a special battery that is going to revolutionize the industry.
Not to take away from the awesomeness of the story, or this technology, but we'll be lucky if we see this new technology within the next 5-6 years, and by then some new battery tech will be dominating the headlines.
With the manufacturers that are producing desktop level power in the palm of your hand, it makes you wonder if there's someone or something holding back battery tech. Kind of like the whole "big oil/electric vehicle" scenario that's been going on for decades.

Great story & interesting technology though!

S5 tap'n

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Keep in mind, Sammy and LG would love to launch a Smartphone that folds. They just may get behind this and push it to market.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Keep in mind, Sammy and LG would love to launch a Smartphone that folds. They just may get behind this and push it to market.
This is True and this would be the Solution for Powering their Devices.

I would like to see how large the battery would be at current capacities that Batteries are now. If this is smaller in size and capable of increasing capacity in Phones it would be great. Imagine having a 10,000 mAh Battery that is smaller than the current batteries in these none removable Phones. Having enough power to make our phones last almost a Week instead of a day or so would be amazing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A story like this pops up at least once a year that talks about a special battery that is going to revolutionize the industry.
Not to take away from the awesomeness of the story, or this technology, but we'll be lucky if we see this new technology within the next 5-6 years, and by then some new battery tech will be dominating the headlines.
With the manufacturers that are producing desktop level power in the palm of your hand, it makes you wonder if there's someone or something holding back battery tech. Kind of like the whole "big oil/electric vehicle" scenario that's been going on for decades.

Great story & interesting technology though!

S5 tap'n
I find the "bendable" a bit concerning. Aluminum doesn't flex very well.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It said "it's so flexible it's foldable" in the op, a quality not inherent in aluminum.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
A minute is too long. Must have one that charges in 20-30 seconds. :p

Reactions: cr6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
We have a fleet of vessels, that are made solely from aluminum, that are designed to bend. If they don't bend then they break. Some of them are 220' long and 47 feet wide.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have a fleet of vessels, that are made solely from aluminum, that are designed to bend. If they don't bend then they break. Some of them are 220' long and 47 feet wide.
So it's an alloy correct? How much can it flex? 90 degrees without memory? Aluminum in and of itself has a very brittle memory when flexed/bent. It's why straight aluminum bicycle frames don't come with a lifetime warranty against breakage like steel, steel alloy and aluminum alloy frames. If the battery is an aluminum alloy I'll almost buy its ability to fold 90 degrees but not straight out aluminum.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So it's an alloy correct? How much can it flex? 90 degrees without memory? Aluminum in and of itself has a very brittle memory when flexed/bent. It's why straight aluminum bicycle frames don't come with a lifetime warranty against breakage like steel, steel alloy and aluminum alloy frames. If the battery is an aluminum alloy I'll almost buy its ability to fold 90 degrees but not straight out aluminum.

Yes it's an alloy. The average flexing with 120tons of under tonnage (potable water/diesel/lube oil) and 300tons of above decks cargo is 7-11%. Several thousand times per voyage depending on the weather.

The flexing isn't as much of an issue as electrolysis. We have multiple monitoring spots on the hull of the vessels to take corrosion readings that come from missing anodes or electrical equipment grounding out to the hull.

You could bend it more than 90 degrees. Once. I don't think that will be an issue for a battery in a tablet or a phone.