Alternatives to lapdock

dra868

Reaction score
Ordered my Bionic today from walmart ($219 w/unlimited data $199 on tiered plan) and anxiously awaiting its arrival. I bought this phone primarily for the webtop/lapdock function. However, the lapdock did not get good reviews and I was wondering what is an alternative? I want to be able to quickly access files on the go. The lapdock would have been perfect but it's over priced and is not worth it per reviews. Is it possible to do this with a laptop and use webtop?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

J5311

Reaction score
the cheapest way would be the mobile webtop.... its a very small device but u would need a tv with an hdmi cable to use it

OP
D

dra868

Reaction score
With the webtop adaptor, would this work on a laptop as the monitor? I don't want to carry another device(s) monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc

gravebelly

Reaction score
I do not know if the HD dock is out of your price but worth it. Its 99 bucks but verizon store has 25 percent off. Paid 75 for it. It has 3 usb ports and hdmi port. Problem solved. Hook up key board, mouse, and whatever else hard drive perhaps to any HDMI tv or monitor. It is the best alternative imho.

mlo0352

Reaction score
I feel like it's such an easy idea, though. Isn't there a way to create the same functionality with a powered usb adapter and a microusb adapter?

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I feel like it's such an easy idea, though. Isn't there a way to create the same functionality with a powered usb adapter and a microusb adapter?

There's a "hack" to enable webtop mode on your phone, but getting the USB adapter would be tricky. You'd need a male microUSB to female USB adapter, then you'd have to get a USB hub/splitter. And with that, I don't know if you'd be able to charge your phone while doing that.

mlo0352

Reaction score
Mice I just ordered both of these things on ebay the other day in anticipation of trying to do this. It looks like with the razr plugging it into HDMI will enable the web top mode.

bufordpisser

Reaction score
I have the lapdock and i love it. Works great for me and o am an on the go security analyst. Most of the negative reviews i have seen are from people trying to do things that it was not designed to do like gaming.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mlo0352

Reaction score
It sounds great, but it's really expensive. And going with the openness of the Android platform, I don't believe I should be locked into using their hardware to access the features of my phone. So I'm looking into low cost (albeit not as fancy looking) alternatives to achieve similar functionality. :)

bufordpisser

Reaction score
I hear you. And it is expensive. But you would not put volkswagon pistons in a corvette. And your alternatives are at best a trade off. But if the functionality that you want is there go for it. I like to experiment also and find low cost alternatives. I just can't accept trade off in functionality for the savings of a few dollars.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rockaholic112

Reaction score
With the webtop adaptor, would this work on a laptop as the monitor? I don't want to carry another device(s) monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc

I've been searching, but nothing so far. Does anyone know how I can use a macbook pro or imac as the display? I don't need to mod anything, I can just buy the hd dock. That said, I don't have a monitor and can't find any portable ones (on the go is important) My school doesn't have wifi, not to mention the webtop on razr ics is EPIC. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it :biggrin: