Alternatives to webdock/lapdock - using your phone with a bigger screen/keyboard

angelman

Reaction score
My wife really likes the idea of the bionic/lapdock combination. She wants to be able to use her phone like a netbook with a proper keyboard at least for typing up notes. She would also like to watch some netflix/hulu.
In many ways the bionic/lapdoc combo seems perfect. You don't have to pay extra for the tethering, you get a real keyboard and a reasonable screen.
Having said that I havent heard any very positive reviews. Mostly it seems like a great concept but poorly executed and really far too expensive.
What other alternatives might there be?
Get a small cheap laptop and tether - most likely have to pay extra to the plan for tethering
Get a small bluetooth keyboard so at least she can type more easily, not so bad as the bionic has a pretty large screen, more reasonable still if the waits for nexus prime probably. Anything to watch out for when choosing a keyboard for this?
Any other ideas?
I tried to look for some sort of standalone screen with hdmi input that maybe you could plug the phone into but didnt find anything really, and nothing cheaper than the lapdock.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Webkey? You need a high-speed connection, but you can run your phone from it and also use it to control media output. Could work for what you're wanting.