ALERT: Droid X High quality Pics

HCdroid

Reaction score
Here's some info from a forum member at AnandTech who claims to be a tester and had the phone for 3 to 4 weeks...

- The screen is IPS based on my subjective testing (wide viewing angles side-to-side, top-to-bottom, incredibly bright and detailed) but it has lower DPI than iPhone 4 obviously.

- The CPU is single-core ARM v7 rev 2 (v71) architecture (probably TI OMAP 3640) clocked at 1GHz according to Device Info app from Android Market. BogoMIPS score is 299.95. Supports neon and vfpv3 for what its worth.

- The GPU is a PowerVR SGX 530 with support for OpenGL ES-CM 1.1 at a minimum according to glInfo from Android Market (the glInfo tool may not be able to read OpenGL ES 2.x support yet, but the hardware should support it!) *note* the PowerVR GPU is roughly equivalent to iPhone 3GS, and its faster than the integrated ATI core in current-gen Snapdragon.

-It definitely has a notification LED--for all software notifications, however, it's green (I think I've only seen orange/red with regards to battery? Can't remember for sure.)

-Regarding Moto Blur, most of the Blur functionality is implemented via widgets. The easiest way to "disable" it is to remove all the widgets from your screens like you would with any other widget (simple enough!) You cannot, however, disable the custom skin and go back to a standard android home screen (i.e. standard app drawer, etc.) from what I've been able to see. Not sure that it's a big deal, as performance with Blur is great.

-With regards to the Blur widgets, I really like them, especially for the fact that they are resizable! This allows you to customize your screen layout moreso than you can using standard news, Facebook, Twitter, weather, calendar widgets. There are some instances where the Blur dev team could've done a better job with UI--I definitely think their image resizing algorithm can use some work, and they don't seem to take advantage of the screen size (perhaps because this version of Blur is also on the Droid 2?)

-Right now the latest firmware is based on Android 2.1-update1. However, it does have WiFi hotspot capability as a preload.

-I don't know if there was a "change" to the camera button, can you be more specific? It is slightly wobbly, and it is a 2-stage camera button similar to the original Droid. Some reports on the web stated you had to touch the screen to focus--not true. I'm able to focus by pressing the button half-way.

-Just for s&g, I ran the Neocore benchmark from Qualcomm. Droid X scores 42.9fps in benchmark mode (audio off, native resolution).
edit: 44.3fps on 2nd pass

[highlight]-A few more notes--this Droid seems to have epic battery life. Not sure if that's a function of 45nm OMAP vs. 65nm Snapdragon or more the result of software optimizations ("Battery Manager"), but with standard usage on a typical day like today, I'm at 7h, 30 minutes usage and still have 50%. That's after downloading 89mb for a new game (Super KO Boxing 2) via wifi, playing the game, doing some web surfing, checking up on social networks, checking into Foursquare, etc. Oh, and that's with all battery optimizations turned "OFF" (Performance Mode!!)[/highlight]

upinsmoke

Reaction score
honestly though - that thing is just huge. It's a mini ipad. I happened to be at BB last night with my gf and was comparing the EVO to my DI and its a handful to carry and hold (and I'm not a small man).

It was interesting too the conversation that developed from comparing the two units. Mind you - this is from the perspective of two women - significant other and the sales girl at BB. They both agreed that the phone was just too large and without any prompting made the assumption that only a tool would have this (maybe get the matching bluetooth tether to go with - that came from the BB girl). It felt like I was holding a frying pan to my face.

I'm sure there will be some sales of this unit but no where near as close to some of the smaller formats available. The pocket protector crowd I'm sure will love it... ;)

HCdroid

Reaction score
@HCDroid- Dammit, I am beginning to lust after this phone after reading all of that.

:rofl3: I'm in the same boat. That's the reason I'm doing as much research as I can. My only concerns at this point are: the build and phone reception quality. I'll have to wait like everybody else for a proper full review. Also the forum community support it gets (if any) will play a major role on putting my trusty droid to sit on the sidelines or not.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
@HCDroid- Dammit, I am beginning to lust after this phone after reading all of that.

:rofl3: I'm in the same boat. That's the reason I'm doing as much research as I can. My only concerns at this point are: the build and phone reception quality. I'll have to wait like everybody else for a proper full review. Also the forum community support it gets (if any) will play a major role on putting my trusty droid to sit on the sidelines or not.

I hear ya. We have been pretty spoiled with all the devs that work on the Droid. It would be hard to move up to another phone without having all the wonderful options that we have right now.

Spinninghorse

Reaction score
I keep looking and I am not seeing what the RAM is for the Droid X - can someone help? Also, there is no external slot?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
[highlight]-A few more notes--this Droid seems to have epic battery life. Not sure if that's a function of 45nm OMAP vs. 65nm Snapdragon or more the result of software optimizations ("Battery Manager"), but with standard usage on a typical day like today, I'm at 7h, 30 minutes usage and still have 50%. That's after downloading 89mb for a new game (Super KO Boxing 2) via wifi, playing the game, doing some web surfing, checking up on social networks, checking into Foursquare, etc. Oh, and that's with all battery optimizations turned "OFF" (Performance Mode!!)[/highlight]

Someone needs to rub this in the face of those commentors on gizmodo and engadget predicting battery suckage. :icon_evil:dancedroid