Airplane Mode Question

FootballRef

Reaction score
What exactly does it do?

Reason I ask, next week I am going on a cruise. I am going to turn my phone off once I am on the boat. The last night I plan to charge my phone for use the next day once we are ported.

Since you cannot charge a Droid with the power off, if I put it in Airplane mode while charging will that take care of the chance of any data coming through?

I will need my phone charged after we port, as I will be sitting in an airport for nearly 10 hours.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It disables (turns off ) the radio so you can not sent or receives calls. I'm not positive but I believe it disables the data service as well.

Mike

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What exactly does it do?

Reason I ask, next week I am going on a cruise. I am going to turn my phone off once I am on the boat. The last night I plan to charge my phone for use the next day once we are ported.

Since you cannot charge a Droid with the power off, if I put it in Airplane mode while charging will that take care of the chance of any data coming through?

I will need my phone charged after we port, as I will be sitting in an airport for nearly 10 hours.

You can leave it in airplane mode the whole trip and you won't get any Data. Just leave it in that mode and can still use your phone for everything else.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Airplane mode disables all radio frequencies entering or leaving your phone. But once turning airplane mode on you can turn still use wifi if there is a wifi signal.

Remember tho..wifi has to be off, then turn airplane mode on, then turn wifi on.

ragenrok

Reaction score
it disables all transmit and recieve functions of your phone including data.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Search cruise ships. Read those threads. Follow up with Verizon. It may save you some heart palpitations when your post cruise bill arrives

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Airplane mode disables all radio frequencies entering or leaving your phone. But once turning airplane mode on you can turn still use wifi if there is a wifi signal.

Remember tho..wifi has to be off, then turn airplane mode on, then turn wifi on.

Thanks, that's good to know. I had turned the Airplane Mode on and both Wifi and Phone shut down. I'll try the WiFi trick next time.