After hard reset 3G doesn't work on my GT-i5500

Steavis

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had my samsung galaxy europe GT-i5500 for about 9 months or so. Never had an issue with wifi or 3G. Moved house and got a new Dlink DIR-635 router and I have problems to get my wifi connection working on my phone -> wifi connects but it will hardly transfer any data, only in the first 10 or 20 seconds or so then it won't transfer any data anymore.

I practically tried every setting in the router so I think the problem lies in the phone. What also makes me suspect the phone is that my gf bought a samsung galaxy TXT and I initially had the exact same problem, until I updated her firmware to android version 2.3.6 on her phone, then all worked flawlesly.

My GT-i5500 is on 2.2 froyo as that is the latest firmware available for this phone.

I contacted samsung and got the reply that I should try a soft reset using *2767*2878# and if that doesn't work a hard reset using *2767*3855# . I tried the soft reset but it doesn't work, I get USSD code running and then "rejected". So I did the hard reset, the wifi seems to work slightly better but far from what it should be. But now the problem is that my 3G connection won't turn on no matter what I try, which is even worse than a bad wifi connection in my situation.

I have "use packet data" and "data roaming" enabled. Whenever I long press the power button to bring up the phone options menu and press 'mobile network' nothing happens, no icon comes up.

What can I do to fix this problem? I've tried another hard reset but that didn't fix it.

Thanks a lot

OP
S

Steavis

Reaction score
Oookay...the label 'droid newbie' under my name does me justice. Just realised I had to setup APN for my provider. Now 3G works... took me about 3 hours of messing around before I realised that.

Still wifi hardly works.... any ideas?!

lstroyan

Reaction score
I was having a similar problem with a Droid Bionic and wanted to post the resolution here.

The problem was that after I had done a hard reset (in order to get OTA updates on a phone with a changed SIM card) and restored my backups using MyBackup Pro, I couldn't get the device to connect to Verizon's data network, though wifi was working.

The problem I eventually found was that restoring "APNs" (I didn't know what they were so I figured I would restore them! duh...should have used the reverse logic) using the MyBackup Pro software messed up the data connection. When I did another hard reset as Verizion suggested, the 4G worked until I restored again from the backup I had made before the first hard reset. When I saw the 4g go away on reboot I hard reset another time. I emailed the application provider, RERWARE, and they were aware of the problem, they say it happens on a few phones.

Lisa