Advice needed.

coolbreez

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a droid X and it is stock running gingerbread. It is still under warranty. My issue is that when using the stock google navigation app I can put in my destination and I can also view the rout details but it never speaks the turn by turn, it just has a message at the bottom of the screen that reads "searching for satellites" and it never finds them. Now the screen will update as I drive but no directions given. The only fix I have found is to power down, remove the battery and wait a few seconds and replace the battery and power up and than the gps work fine. but I have to do this every time I use it. I called verizon and the so called tech told me I have to do a factory reset and than reload everything and if that did not work they would replace the phone. he said the stock app may be bad. I said, WHAT? I don't want to have to reload everything. is there a backup app I can use that will backup everything so I can try the reset? and if I need a new phone how can I save everything and reload it on the new one? and any ideas on what might be wrong with the gps app? I get a good data connections for everything else and the phone works pretty well other wise.

Thanks for the help.

Natey2

Reaction score
Download "GPS Status & Toolbox" app. Do a Menu, Tools, Manage A-GPS state, Reset, Download.

Try your navigation app then. I do this whenever the nav apps do strange things.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

OP
C

coolbreez

Reaction score
thanks for the tip, it seems to be working better.

Reaction score
GPS units are only as good as the fix they can get. If you are in a building, have think cloud cover, trees, even inside some cars, you may not get a good signal. Also most phone use aGPS for assisted GPS when means they download data from the nearest cell tower in order to speed up getting the first fix. If you have a poor connection to the cell tower you may not get a good fix. The app mentioned above does a forced GPS update and that can help.

I have a network extender femtocell and that throws off my GPS because it thinks I am in S.C. when I'm really in Texas. That is where the switch for my ISP to connect to verzion is so that is what tower it thinks I am near. I have to turn off the Network extender or make sure that I am out of it's range in order to get a proper fix.