Adding video to the Bionic

jstwondrng

Reaction score
All,

I'm still luv'n my Bionic (despite the SD card/App issue). I have movies I want to add to my Bionic and need assistance in putting them on the device. When I had the OG Droid, I kinda recall having to put video in a specific folder. Is that the case with this phone as well? I explored the SD card for a "Video" folder, but didn't see any. Any suggestions?

Also, do movies need to be in a specific format? The one movie I want to put on my phone is in a .wmv format.

jstwondrng

Bear in NM

Reaction score
JST,

As to the formats, perhaps check the specifications on the phone per the manual. I do know that mp4's work just fine, and I like the format because it is a little more universal.

I created a Video subdirectory on my actual sd card (sd-ext) and place my videos there, or move them from the phones internal. Both the stock Gallery apk and the 3D Gallery apk find them there with no issues. I like my music, photos and videos on the actual card, in case the phone takes a dump. I really do not want to return a phone with any personal "stuff" sitting on sd (internal), in the event such a phone dump renders the system unreachable.

Craig

OP
jstwondrng

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Hi Craig,

Thanks! I'll use your suggestions and check it out tonight... Hoping it works!

jstwondrng

NotTechnical

Reaction score
Same Problem

I have two movies in MP4 format on my laptop that I would like to put on my Bionic but there is no folder for them. The only two folders I see are dcim (camera) and LOST.DIR (no idea). I just got it yesterday so please tell me if there is something wrong or how to transfer these movies FROM my laptop ONTO my droid. As far as the answer that was already posted on this thread I do not know how to create a new directory. I tried editing the folders from Astro, created a new folder but it didn't show up, just those two folders every time. Someone please help! Thanks!

endobrian

Reaction score
Yeah, just make a dir on the SD called "videos", then reboot. Gingerbread will scan the SD for vids when you reboot.

NotTechnical

Reaction score
Yeaahh still not seeing the videos. Come on this shouldnt be that difficult should be drag and drop wtf is the problem here?

OP
jstwondrng

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Yeaahh still not seeing the videos. Come on this shouldnt be that difficult should be drag and drop wtf is the problem here?

I did some research and it appears you have to put videos in the following location "Removable Storage" > Mobile > Video

Now, I've tried to convert a .wmv file to the specified file format for the Bionic without success. It would be interesting to see if anyone has had any luck doing so....

jstwondrng

NotTechnical

Reaction score
Should that location be there already in my sd card or can i make it myself?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Well, I created a Video subdirectory on my sd card (sd-ext) called Video, and it is not nested under Mobile, so for the actual card I am not needing the mobile parent directory. I do know that the mobile/video, mobile/music etc. is a remanant of the Moto sync program that I ran for a while on my D1, that that program was mostly a boat anchor.

Craig

NotTechnical

Reaction score
I appreciate the help but like my name says im not technical. What i really need is a "putting movies on your bionic for idiots" guide and id be ridiculously grateful to anyone who cou
ld supply one...

OP
jstwondrng

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Well, I created a Video subdirectory on my sd card (sd-ext) called Video, and it is not nested under Mobile, so for the actual card I am not needing the mobile parent directory. I do know that the mobile/video, mobile/music etc. is a remanant of the Moto sync program that I ran for a while on my D1, that that program was mostly a boat anchor.

Craig

I'm finding that "Video" folder when I connect the Bionic using "PC Mode". When I go into "My Computer", I see the Droid Bionic as a drive. If you double-click the bionic icon, you will see a Removable Storage device. After double-clicking this, a list of folders will appear. Within this listing, there is a folder entitled "Mobile". In the "Mobile" folder, you will see four folders Music, Picture, Podcast and Video. From what I've read online, this is where you want to put your movies. See photo below:

View attachment 40267

jstwondrng

brent.murray

Reaction score
So does anyone know what format they need to be in? I tried a .avi and it had no sound and auto closed after 3 secs..... mp4 maybe or .wmv ?

When I plugged in my Bionic I tried PC mode, dragged and dropped it into the device and it asked if I wanted to convert it (unsure what to) and I began but it said 1hr remaining.... cancelled that. lol

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I'm finding that "Video" folder when I connect the Bionic using "PC Mode". When I go into "My Computer", I see the Droid Bionic as a drive. If you double-click the bionic icon, you will see a Removable Storage device. After double-clicking this, a list of folders will appear. Within this listing, there is a folder entitled "Mobile". In the "Mobile" folder, you will see four folders Music, Picture, Podcast and Video. From what I've read online, this is where you want to put your movies. See photo below:

View attachment 40267

jstwondrng

JST,

I absolutely agree that this would be one way of doing it. When you use PC Mode you are not seeing a raw shot of the directories and subdirectories on your phone. The view is being filtered and adjusted with either the software on the phone or PC to give a view of only media. The "mobile" directory is a Moto thing. I was merely saying that by using the USB Mass Storage mode you can put your videos in a new directory that you create on the SD card. Both the method I have described works, or what you have shown. The difference is that when you USB connect in PC mode (and probably Media Sync Mode) you are in a mode that is more advanced than pure USB Mass Storage which is drag and drop. I guess the choice is dependant upon your comfort level of how you want to sync with the phone.

I tried to integrate the old Moto Media Sync program on my D1 with my windows machine, and that liked to have driven me batty. As I do not do playlist mods or need more advanced syncing options for my media, I have been just fine with the drag and drop approach.

Craig

OP
jstwondrng

jstwondrng

Reaction score
JST,

I absolutely agree that this would be one way of doing it. When you use PC Mode you are not seeing a raw shot of the directories and subdirectories on your phone. The view is being filtered and adjusted with either the software on the phone or PC to give a view of only media. The "mobile" directory is a Moto thing. I was merely saying that by using the USB Mass Storage mode you can put your videos in a new directory that you create on the SD card. Both the method I have described works, or what you have shown. The difference is that when you USB connect in PC mode (and probably Media Sync Mode) you are in a mode that is more advanced than pure USB Mass Storage which is drag and drop. I guess the choice is dependant upon your comfort level of how you want to sync with the phone.

I tried to integrate the old Moto Media Sync program on my D1 with my windows machine, and that liked to have driven me batty. As I do not do playlist mods or need more advanced syncing options for my media, I have been just fine with the drag and drop approach.

Craig

Hey Craig,

Oh, didn't know that PC Mode only gave you a "raw" view of the directories. Thanks! I did get it working... Finallly! lol! I used an application on my PC called Catalysis. I broke down about two years ago and purchased it for my then Motorola Droid (OG). I did an update to the software a couple days ago and the latest/greatest version actually gives you Bionic settings! And, the best part is, it will actually put the video on your phone for you! Kinda sweet! Now, the only thing I want to do is, play with some of the settings to improve the video output. It's not bad, however, not even close to HD.

Jstwondrng