Add 4G LTE Wifi To Your Car With Samsung's New Dongle

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You could always root your device and unlock the hotspot functionality on your smartphone if you aren't on a shared data plan to give you wifi in you car. Using the built in hotspot can be taxing on your phone's battery and is not ideal. Samsung has the perfect solution. They have just released a dongle which plugs into your OBD II port to provide your car with wiifi.

The ODB II port is generally used by mechanics to diagnose car trouble. Other than that Progressive and other car insurance companies have made use of it to monitor your driving habits and that is about all the port is good for. Now you can add one more use to the port. The "Connect Auto" dongle from Samsung not only adds wifi it also allows you to locate your car with the "Find My Car" app, and allow you to monitor car stats like fuel consumption, distance traveled, and a virtual mechanic which alerts you when your car has issues needing assistance.

via Samsung

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Its not all that is good for the ODB2 port. I have a bluetooh dongle connected to it that lets my phone monitor my car using an app called Torque Pro. For most people knowing your fuel to air ratio is useless but I use it as my boost gauge, I monitor temps and the air/fuel ratio. It can also do 0-60 times. The best feature is reading and clearing fault codes. can save you some money if it comes on for an easily fixed issue.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm using torque for data logging as well.

Why can't we just turn hotspot on our phones on? Why the extra devices?

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm using torque for data logging as well.

Why can't we just turn hotspot on our phones on? Why the extra devices?

It's taxing on your battery. It's nice to have options. I would rather just use my phone's hot spot though.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's taxing on your battery. It's nice to have options. I would rather just use my phone's hot spot though.
That port wasn't designed to have that kind of power drawn through it though.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You are right this product sucks! LOL
I'm not saying that at all. Just be aware when/if you start popping fuses, know why. My truck has a dedicated 12V power source for this. It has a fuseable replaceable link as well in case something shorts out.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
makes sense

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most times when my phone is in my car it's connected to a charger so taxing battery isn't really an issue.
Also, wouldn't you have to subscribe to some kind of paid service to have the hotspot work? I'd rather just flip on foxfi and spread the love!

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Most times when my phone is in my car it's connected to a charger so taxing battery isn't really an issue.
Also, wouldn't you have to subscribe to some kind of paid service to have the hotspot work? I'd rather just flip on foxfi and spread the love!

Your phone actually charges in the car? If I'm using GPS, a car charger just makes my phone die slower haha even in my 12v input

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Verizon also already sells a device for this same purpose. Pretty sure AT&T has one as well.

Your phone actually charges in the car? If I'm using GPS, a car charger just makes my phone die slower haha even in my 12v input

You need a better charger, friend. I can charge my Nexus 6P while navigating and streaming music and it actually charges.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You have a bad charger. I use an aukey 4.8a charger that quick charges my phone to 100% while using GPS, Google music and other apps.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You have a bad charger. I use an aukey 4.8a charger that quick charges my phone to 100% while using GPS, Google music and other apps.
Mine's slightly less powerful, but the same brand. I don't get the "Rapid Charging" notification, but I don't get the "Slow Charging" one either. It just says "Charging" and the battery percentage steadily rises.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Long time Torque Pro user here as well.

johnomaz

Silver Member