Accidentally hitting soft keys while typing

dil.b

Reaction score
The above issue is causing me major aggravation...anyone have an app or solution (other than changing the way I type/hold the phone)?

flash24

Reaction score
Eventually, you will get used to the keyboard and avoid the soft keys. That is the only solution I can only think of.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

Mikemu

Reaction score
Eventually, you will get used to the keyboard and avoid the soft keys. That is the only solution I can only think of.

What are the "soft keys" - those right above the main keyboard? I was wondering what was causing the same thing for me but I guess I must be touching them inadvertently as well. It is indeed annoying. I love the device but the keyboard is definitely inferior to the BB I was used to. Everything else of course far superior.

flash24

Reaction score
Yup, the keys on top of the keyboard. I used to hit them like crazy when I type but got used to it.
I just typed all that without looking at the keyboard lol

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
I use to do it a lot when use to type with my entire thumb but I got into the habit of typing with the tips of my thumbs/nails so now it doesn't happen all that much

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

ravenhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had my Pro since it first came out, but for whatever reason, for the last week or so, it seems like every text message I type, I accidentally hit the Google Search soft key.

OP
D

dil.b

Reaction score
I'm thinking an app or setting that requires you to long press the soft keys while in text entry/keyboard mode could resolve the issue??

bwhite757

Reaction score
The keyboard design is based a lot off of the Blackberry Tour/Bold keyboard. Your thumbs should only be moving minimally over the keys, mainly rolling your thumbs while leaving them primarily over the home keys. When you look at the wear pattern on my keyboard the top row is only worn on the bottom of the keys, middle row has an even wear, and the bottom row are worn on the top of the keys. I only pick my thumbs up off the keyboard to hit the space bar which is always done with my right thumb for whatever reason. Its hard to explain but I hit different keys with different parts of my thumbs.

I learned this when I complained about the blackberry keyboard to a buddy of mine who directed me to a youtube video (which I can't seem to find now) that showed the proper technique. I practiced for a couple of days and sure enough started typing like a champ. With this technique I have never once touched to soft keys while typing on the Pro since I've had it. Also this technique is much easier with the Pro thanks to the slightly smaller spacing of the letters.

Sent from the DPro

Prairie Smoke

Reaction score
I solved the problem on mine by cutting a thin piece of adhesive backed rubber to the width of the cross piece between the screen and the keyboard and sticking it on. This put a ridge there that is just about the same height as the keys. It leaves intentional access to the soft keys unaffected, but it acts as part physical barrier and part tactile reminder so my big fat thumbs don't hit the soft keys any more. I have had it on there for three days now and not one oops yet.

OP
D

dil.b

Reaction score
thanks Prairie Smoke, quite inventive...will have to try it out!

RVO27

Reaction score
I solved the problem on mine by cutting a thin piece of adhesive backed rubber to the width of the cross piece between the screen and the keyboard and sticking it on. This put a ridge there that is just about the same height as the keys. It leaves intentional access to the soft keys unaffected, but it acts as part physical barrier and part tactile reminder so my big fat thumbs don't hit the soft keys any more. I have had it on there for three days now and not one oops yet.

Any way we could get a picture Prairie Smoke? Sounds like a great fix!!