Abstract thought: Android on your mind, not in your palm. Would you take it?

djk_dnb

Reaction score
This community is full of an amazing variety of people and topics. This website provides us a forum in which we may discuss every technical thought or question that occurs to us regarding the Android OS, the Droid phones, and the mind-blowing pace at which the technologies that make such conveniences available to us advance the ease of our existance. For some, the technology provides entertainment. For others, productivity in a business setting. For most, this technology, a super computer in your pocket is like having wings. You're free to travel, and yet, your PC, your life-line is right there, any, and every moment you want or need it.

I am signifigantly impressed with the good will, and sense of camradery among the members here. The technical side of things makes for great discussion. All that aside, though, assuming that we'll keep up, as best we can with new hardware, all the software updates, roms, tweaks and tricks... suppose for just a minute that this technology will soon evolve from handheld devices to servicable, upgradable, active-in-brain standards. Not a new handheld, but an implant upgrade.

Would you accept such a leap in technology? Why, or why not? What would you want, or not want in regards to something so truly, "hands free"?

iPirate

Reaction score
would i stick a phone in my brain so i didnt have to carry it around? no. upgrades would be risky and cost a lot.

OP
D

djk_dnb

Reaction score
would i stick a phone in my brain so i didnt have to carry it around? no. upgrades would be risky and cost a lot.

That's a very fair assessment of the options, iPirate. Let's just assume though, for the sake of this discussion, that the upgrades are proven safe in voluntary test subjects, and that the technology is affordable, meaning that the cost of the implant is equal to, or lesser than it's pocket destined counter part. Watching videos, sharing large files, and communicating in what would amount to a very telepathic manner... is that not appealing? Let's assume that our implanted systems and memory are sufficient. Say...maybe 8gb of DDR3 RAM, and something like 3tb of "HDD" space. For now. Remember, this is easily, and non-invasively upgradable. You can remove the "system" at any time with no harm done.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
My turn.....My first thought was "MMMMMMMMMnnnnnnNo." I have always said I was ready for my brains upgrade but what kind of tool is this going to be? Culturally will it enhance life or turn everyone into gamers? Eye strain? co-dependency? addiction? Just how far are you wanting to go? for what reason? And just every now and then....YOU HAVE TO BE HUMAN. You have to put down your responsibilities and remember how good it feels to be bored, or entertained. I preferred bored and less entertained. Similar to the effect of the gingerbread man....GET ME OUTTA HERE or my tounge is going to fork, my teeth won't catch what I am about to spout and I am going to SAY what is on my mind before I should.....

A) Not enough information is provided for a sound response.
B) Dreaming that something is perfect is not the same as it being perfect. IE. Boy meets girl doesn't always promise there will not be a dog and cat fight.
C) Admittedly I recalled your board name and have appreciated some of your comments I cannot help but hear the sales pitch in some Charlie and The Chocolate Factory pitch and its a little above my desires.
D) Chip in my car upgradeable? Implanted where? A goggle over my eyes and a buzz in my ear piece telling me what I need to know, hear, or converse as in something out of James Bond? Enhance my life how?

More input, please.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Reaction score
How many people would be lobotomized when the carrier pushes out an OTA update?

What about preinstalled applications? Are you going to get data forcibly embedded into your cerebrum by a third party?

jbg25

Reaction score
I like the premise of your question. IMO with this type of thing so far in the future most people will be unwilling to give this excercise a fair shake and will look for every reason why it is stupid.

That being said...its not like this idea has not been around for years. Probably the best progression of where this would go is the Anime series Ghost in the Shell. Great series and excellent vision of where we end up with mechanical upgrades of our human bodies.

IMO...if this were to happen for real, I don't believe that the entire device would be implanted. Instead you would have some sort of Neural port installed (and no not a giant steel spike like from Matrix...more like the chip of tiny probes used by the scientists working on helping quadriplegics with using computers to perform actions by thought.) Then you could plug your latest device in when you upgrade...and to upgrade a surface port is much less expensive and dangerous than a large physical implant that moves or replaces grey matter.

Brain implant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also think there would be a second implant in your jaw or neck directly below the ear for sub-vocal communication. Meaning you could talk to anyone, anywhere and keep the conversation private.

Audeo Neckband Voiceless Phone Calls: Science Fiction in the News

"Audeo" Neck Band for Sub-Vocal Communication - Boing Boing Gadgets

The military supposedly has a very small, very powerful working version of this (without the whole implant part), that is used by some of the special forces.

Certainly this is still way off. There is a big difference between a implant that can read some base signals like those of moving a body part and using those to control a mouse on a screen....and having a neural network that allows you to access your phone/computer/hdd through the connection.

But there was also a time that all we could send on a communication line was dots and dashes...and we certainly have come a long way in creating artificial and natural replacement body parts...so I do see this as possible eventually.

Anyway...interesting idea for sure. Especially for us sci-fi fans.

Last edited: