TAG Heuer, Intel and Google Teaming Up to Make First 'Luxury' Android Wear Smartwatch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tagheuer-google-intel.jpg

It looks like the launch of the Apple Watch made several different industries stand up and take notice. While Samsung, Motorola, LG and others have been busily making smartwatches, none of the big named Swiss watch makers have really paid much attention. That is, until now.

TAG Heuer, one of the most well-known watch companies out of Switzerland, just announced a new partnership with Intel and Google to make the industry's first "luxury" Android Wear-based smartwatch. Jean-Claude Biver, head of watches for the luxury group LVMH, which is TAG Heuer's parent company, revealed that they wanted to team up with Google because Google doesn't produce its own watch, but instead just makes Android Wear available.

Here's a quote from Biver,
"There are two operating systems: one is Apple's iOS, the other is Android Wear - who are we to invent another language at that level? It would be absurd, it would be arrogant to believe that we could develop our own [operating system]. It would be a catastrophe to believe such a stupid thing.

There is no doubt that we could eventually go to Apple, but why should we do a partnership with Apple, who is producing watches? On the one side they would be partners, on the other a competitor.

"Google is not producing watches, so the relationship is perfect."

TAG_HEUER_FORMULA.jpg
The above image is the TAG Heuer Formula and is simply an example of one of their designs. It is not necessarily indicative of any Android Wear watch design.

Sadly, they didn't share any technical details, nor pricing, nor a timeframe for launch. Here's another quote from the Intel press release with a few more details regarding the partnership,

Guy Sémon, General Manager of TAG Heuer added: "The quality of Swiss watches is renowned worldwide. When this is allied with the creative technology and global power of two companies like Intel and Google, using the Android Wear platform and based on Intel technology, we can see the launch of a technological revolution in our industry, of which I am proud to be a pioneer today with TAG Heuer."

David Singleton [Director of Engineering for Android Wear] noted, "By fusing beauty with technology, the Swiss watch has inspired generations of artists and engineers alike -- including us at Google. So we're thrilled to be working with TAG Heuer and Intel to bring a unique blend of emotion and innovation to the luxury market. Together, and using the Android Wear platform, we can imagine a better, beautiful, smarter watch."

"As we work to enable technology experiences that provide greater utility and value to people, Intel is confident that a collective approach will inspire new innovation in wearable technology. The collaboration with TAG Heuer and Google brings us closer to realizing the vision of wearable technology with a distinctive smartwatch that elevates the category," remarked Michael Bell [Corporate Vice President and General Manager of Intel's New Devices Group].

Source: Intel

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
For my money, AW is already at a decent price. Not SUPER outrageous like the fruit watch, but not so cheap that it makes you feel like you're buying junk. I'll be interested to see price points.

However, even if they come out asking for more than my budget will ever allow, at least AW is getting some deserved recognition from companies who're already established as serious names in the Watch-making world. This bodes well for AW as a real concept instead of the polished beta that it feels like it has been so far.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally somebody who knows a bit about watches. Bet apple is fishing for their own Swiss name to partner with.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sorry, its still going to be outdated in no time no matter what material its surrounded by. Luxary watches are luxary because they are gorgeous and tend to work for a very very long time without hassle. A smart watch....I don't see it.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'll take that luxury watch over a smart watch any day of the week. Tag has some of the best watches I've ever seen. Are they accepting kidneys?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sorry, its still going to be outdated in no time no matter what material its surrounded by. Luxary watches are luxary because they are gorgeous and tend to work for a very very long time without hassle. A smart watch....I don't see it.

I have to agree, I see this as more of a negative than anything. What makes a luxury regular watch is the craftsmanship and the fine internals. Anyone can get the same motherboards/chips/etc for smart watches, it does not translate.

It will just be an excuse to charge more for a watch that will be outdated in 6 months.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow.. Couldn't let apple look a fool all by themselves, huh?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Hear me now... Believe me later.

Tag and other makers will make high quality, watertight, branded chassis and watchbands. The guts will be updatable and removable. Ultimately I see a kind of universal internal puck with the CPU, battery, and screen. You will be able to swap out the chassis depending on the look or activity you want. Heavy duty sport, bling, casual fun, it'll all be available at different price points. There be money in them thar hills.

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Tag and other makers will make high quality, watertight, branded chassis and watchbands. The guts will be updatable and removable. Ultimately I see a kind of universal internal puck with the CPU, battery, and screen. You will be able to swap out the chassis depending on the look or activity you want. Heavy duty sport, bling, casual fun, it'll all be available at different price points. There be money in them thar hills.

I guess that's a possibility, tho an expensive one. Today's energy efficient chips have enough horsepower for these watches to do what they do. The issue is the battery. If a smart luxury watchmaker can figure out how to use those self winding mechanisms to charge the batter, they have a winner.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

That would be insanely hard to do unless you build very large housings. We have no idea what the future holds. Internals may get larger because of specific features. Maybe every watch gets a radio and that needs 2mm more height in the housing. They have to account for that and need to make sure they stay within their own preset dimensions. The shape, battery, everything has to fit in a size they decided would work 5 years before but now just doesn't work. If they do it, they'll have to stick with a very basic design for the actual electronics and cut features IMO.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, I see this as more of a negative than anything. What makes a luxury regular watch is the craftsmanship and the fine internals. Anyone can get the same motherboards/chips/etc for smart watches, it does not translate.

It will just be an excuse to charge more for a watch that will be outdated in 6 months.
what about some kind of... smart watch that can be upgraded... allow for something like Phonebloks or Google Aria with a replaceable SOC card in the bottom... then the watch lasts.