About to really flip out

Anthony 23

Reaction score
OK, so this is my 2nd replacement DX2. After replacing 3 DX. Phones. I have the same exact issue. The phone works for about 3 weeks, to a month, then out of nowhere it powers off,and needs to get a factory reset. I have to literally for the power on. Hold the power button and volume down button at same time. It takes me a good day and a half to get my phone back to where I want it. I keep trying to figure out what is corrupt. Is it somewhere in my gmail, is it my sd card, Id it a certain application? I've kept the application downloads to s minimum. I use mainly Google supported apps. I'm now thinking it may be the go launcher. I've used that on all my devices, can that be the problem? I'm still using the go sms, and go dialer. I'm really starting to become Unglued with all this. I love Android. Buy I'm wearing very thin here. Can someone please give me some opinions and feedback? Ty!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
then out of nowhere it powers off,and needs to get a factory reset.

Can you explain further what you mean by that? What is the phone doing and WHY are you performing a factory reset?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK, so this is my 2nd replacement DX2. After replacing 3 DX. Phones. I have the same exact issue. The phone works for about 3 weeks, to a month, then out of nowhere it powers off,and needs to get a factory reset. I have to literally for the power on. Hold the power button and volume down button at same time. It takes me a good day and a half to get my phone back to where I want it. I keep trying to figure out what is corrupt. Is it somewhere in my gmail, is it my sd card, Id it a certain application? I've kept the application downloads to s minimum. I use mainly Google supported apps. I'm now thinking it may be the go launcher. I've used that on all my devices, can that be the problem? I'm still using the go sms, and go dialer. I'm really starting to become Unglued with all this. I love Android. Buy I'm wearing very thin here. Can someone please give me some opinions and feedback? Ty!

Well you are on the right track. It is something you've been doing (not intentionally of course!!). I haven't heard of this issue with Go Launcher. But I can tell you, I would sure as hell top using the GO Widgets, Go SMS and Go Dialer. Switch either back to stock or use different apps from the market for those functions.

Good luck.

OP
Anthony 23

Anthony 23

Reaction score
The phone makes a data tone then simply shuts off. I pull battery, try restart, and again it tries to power up. It gets to the red eye, says Droid, then a screen comes on, says no service with the date of Jan.2. Also I can't slide it open. It stays on for like 40 seconds then powers off. The only way to get my X2 up and running is to again do a factory reset. Of course that zaps everything on my phone and I spend 3 days trying to again personalize it. Our you suggesting not to use any of the go apps?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The phone makes a data tone then simply shuts off. I pull battery, try restart, and again it tries to power up. It gets to the red eye, says Droid, then a screen comes on, says no service with the date of Jan.2. Also I can't slide it open. It stays on for like 40 seconds then powers off. The only way to get my X2 up and running is to again do a factory reset. Of course that zaps everything on my phone and I spend 3 days trying to again personalize it. ARE you suggesting not to use any of the go apps?

Sure seems it would be worth a try. Of all the things you've talked about, those seem to be the only constant from phone to phone. I'm not saying their bad apps, they just may not be playing well with some other apps you are using.

Reaction score
I'd have a hard time believing that any of the GoApps would nuke the phone. Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Faulty battery, sd card or the phone itself. One way to find out if the software is causing the issue would be to try and boot the phone in safe mode when it locks up. if you can boot into safe mode then it IS a software problem.

To boot in safe mode on a DX2: With the phone off hold the menu button down and hold it down while pressing the power button. Continue to hold the menu button down through the power on sequence until the phone vibrates at you. Then you can let go. You will know you are in safe mode because it will say so in the lower left corner of the screen. It will also load the blur desktop and not Go launcher.

It is certainly possible that it is a software issue but I would think it would happen quicker if the software was having some kind of conflict.

I would also suggest rooting your phone and installing titanium backup. That will make the process of restoring your phone quicker.

OP
Anthony 23

Anthony 23

Reaction score
My battery is brand new.maybe I'll try rooting? I really like the Go apps. After factory reset, it' still not right. I could hardly type

OP
Anthony 23

Anthony 23

Reaction score
How do I know if it's my SD card? If it is, I lose all I have on there?

jmthomas87

Reaction score
Pull the card, and back up the contents on to a computer. Try a different card or at least reformat the one you have.

Then selectively pull back the data you have on the card. Only put data on the card, no apps if you had any on the card previously.

That should rule out the card as an issue, especially if you had any apps installed on the card.

Possibly a bad app on the card could be causing the problem, especially if you have moved the card from phone to phone.

OP
Anthony 23

Anthony 23

Reaction score
I have a new SD card. I transferred everything over. So far it's OK. I really an keeping my finger's crossed