About to jump in on the Droid bandwagon.

loganc10

Reaction score
Hello All;

After a few days of hearing friends talk about the droid, seeing the famous Droid commercials and several hours of lurking eBay debating prices. I have become to think that I might want to get me a Motorola Droid. Well 'Milestone'? since I am on a GSM network.

That being said, i want to ask a few questions regarding the phone.
The 'Milestone', it is the exact same phone as the Droid just the GSM version correct?
Also how "data dependent" is this phone. I will not be able to have a data package with this phone. So my question.. Will I be able to do a lot of things with this phone with out a data package? I hear that if has wifi, so will i just be able to make sure I'm in an area with wireless internet and be able to do all the things a 3g user could?
Last, how is the physical keyboard on this phone. I have had people tell me that after some use that the keyboard goes to junk. Also, how often do you yourself use the slide out keyboard? Or do you prefer the touch qwerty?

That is all the questions for now. Thanks for any help given, and i hope to become apart of this Droid community.!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the milestone isn't exactly the same. it is REALLY REALLY similar, but there are a few software differences and the obvious hardware differences to account for a GSM phone.. but it depends why you are asking the question. if you are asking because you want to load the latest droid ROM on your milestone, well that gets tricky.. if you are asking because you are shopping for a nice case, then yes, they are exactly the same. ;)

as far as data dependent.. i'm sure you could get by without having a data plan (assuming that is allowed by your carrier), but you would SEVERELY limit the phone by doing so. you might be better off with something else really..

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hello All;

After a few days of hearing friends talk about the droid, seeing the famous Droid commercials and several hours of lurking eBay debating prices. I have become to think that I might want to get me a Motorola Droid. Well 'Milestone'? since I am on a GSM network.

That being said, i want to ask a few questions regarding the phone.
The 'Milestone', it is the exact same phone as the Droid just the GSM version correct?
Also how "data dependent" is this phone. I will not be able to have a data package with this phone. So my question.. Will I be able to do a lot of things with this phone with out a data package? I hear that if has wifi, so will i just be able to make sure I'm in an area with wireless internet and be able to do all the things a 3g user could?
Last, how is the physical keyboard on this phone. I have had people tell me that after some use that the keyboard goes to junk. Also, how often do you yourself use the slide out keyboard? Or do you prefer the touch qwerty?

That is all the questions for now. Thanks for any help given, and i hope to become apart of this Droid community.!

What carrier are you on? As far as I know, all carriers require data plans for their smartphones, though the prices of said plans vary.

OP
L

loganc10

Reaction score
Cellular One,
i plan on just buying the phone on eBay. Then putting my sim card in and going from there.

I could still get apps and what not via wifi though right?

OP
L

loganc10

Reaction score
I already have a Ipod Touch, haha.
i used to have a Moto Q. Which I loved because you could do so much with it along the lines of softwares, themes, etc. Compared to the Droid though you cant hardly do anything with it.
Basically, i want to get another smartphone. But i have a samsung touch (not even for sure what it is, a 'Star' i think. Its nothing special) now, and i think i what to stay with a touch screen.