About rooting Droid Bionic

PostalTrucker

Reaction score
I've been wanting to root my Droid Bionic (ICS 4.0.4) for a while now. I was all set to do it yesterday using the instructions at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpowD1ALaAw&feature=youtube_gdata_player, but I read that Jelly Bean will be released for the Bionic in the very near future (Q2 of 2013). My question is: Should I wait until after Jelly Bean is installed on the phone before I root it, or does it really make any difference? Will I be able to use the same Windows script written for ICS to root a Jelly Bean Bionic, or will I have to wait until a new program is written to root the JB Bionic? Thx... :icon_ lala:

Ziggie

Reaction score
I would root now. There is no guarantee that the Bionic can be rooted on JB.

You will have to preserve root prior to accepting the JB update. Voodoo over the air rootkeeper should preserve root through the JB update. Once JB is installed, you use Voodoo to reapply root.
This assumes that the soak test goes well, Verizon approves the build, and it is actually sent out to the masses. ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
PostalTrucker

PostalTrucker

Reaction score

You will have to preserve root prior to accepting the JB update. Voodoo over the air rootkeeper should preserve root through the JB update. Once JB is installed, you use Voodoo to reapply root.
This assumes that the soak test goes well, Verizon approves the build, and it is actually sent out to the masses. ;)

Thanks, Ziggie. I did some research on Voodoo and I'm going to do exactly what you suggested. Thanks for the tip!

pistacio

Reaction score
Also, make sure once rooted and before using voodoo, that your su binary is up to date.

1) root
2) update superuser app (play store)
3) open superuser app and update binary (in the menu, somewhere)
4) reboot
5) install voodoo
6) backup root thru voodoo

OP
PostalTrucker

PostalTrucker

Reaction score
Also, make sure once rooted and before using voodoo, that your su binary is up to date.

1) root
2) update superuser app (play store)
3) open superuser app and update binary (in the menu, somewhere)
4) reboot
5) install voodoo
6) backup root thru voodoo

Will do, Pistachio. Many thx. Would you happen to know, or maybe you'd know, Ziggie, (or anyone else who's reading this) if it would be a good move to replace Superuser with Super SU? https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwyLDEwOSwiZXUuY2hhaW5maXJlLnN1cGVyc3UiXQ.. Do y'all have any experience with Super SU?

OP
PostalTrucker

PostalTrucker

Reaction score
Everything went great...no problems. Rooted phone, updated Superuser binary, activated firewall in avast mobile security, installed Safestrap 3.11 and Titanium Backup Pro. Then I installed voodoo and copied root. Everything seems to run faster and smoother after the root. Next task is to remove some bloatware!
dancedroid :yeahbaby01:

Ecco

Reaction score
You may want to hold off on removing the bloatware until after the JB update, assuming it comes soon, as most likely you will have to restore it all back in order to take the OTA update.

OP
PostalTrucker

PostalTrucker

Reaction score
You're right. After installing Titanium, I elected to "freeze" as much bloatware as I could, while also backing it up...

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score

So I'm rooted right now with safe strap and running a rom. What are the steps to keep root and accept ota update?

Last edited:

kitcostantino

Reaction score
So I'm rooted right now with safe strap and running a rom. What are the steps to keep root and accept ota update?
well, man, there are a couple of caviats to understand/avoid. First and foremost an OTA will always fail if youre running safestrap or a custom recovery. Also, if anything has been removed, the OTA will fail. Some users reported freezing bloatware caused failure to update to the ICS leak. In my opinion, the best practice is to FXZ, reroot, *update suoeruser binary*, install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect root, then do Temporary unroot also via OTA rootkeeper. Then you have to wait bloated and unrooted. It sucks because safestrap is badass. BUT it sucks to get into stock recovery, flash the ota, and get a message that says "error update failed status 7". I use an old windows xp computer for fxz's. I personally use RSD LITE 5.8, moto helper drivers, and motorola device manager. The fxz for .246 is around all over the place. Motorola device manager is available on their website. Fxz will erase everything but your external, removable sd card. Good luck and make a backup in safestrap before you do anything.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
well, man, there are a couple of caviats to understand/avoid. First and foremost an OTA will always fail if youre running safestrap or a custom recovery. Also, if anything has been removed, the OTA will fail. Some users reported freezing bloatware caused failure to update to the ICS leak. In my opinion, the best practice is to FXZ, reroot, *update suoeruser binary*, install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect root, then do Temporary unroot also via OTA rootkeeper. Then you have to wait bloated and unrooted. It sucks because safestrap is badass. BUT it sucks to get into stock recovery, flash the ota, and get a message that says "error update failed status 7". I use an old windows xp computer for fxz's. I personally use RSD LITE 5.8, moto helper drivers, and motorola device manager. The fxz for .246 is around all over the place. Motorola device manager is available on their website. Fxz will erase everything but your external, removable sd card. Good luck and make a backup in safestrap before you do anything.
Too much work haha I'm just gonna fxz back to 246 and stay stock and hope the make root for bionic on jb. Thanks though

kitcostantino

Reaction score
Man, backing up your sd and fxz'ing is 80% of the way there. I use motofail-ics to root (5 min maybe) and voodoo ota actions take less than a minuite. Im sure djrbliss will have it rooted on no time, though, he's the f#$%&$ man, your choice though, dude.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Man, backing up your sd and fxz'ing is 80% of the way there. I use motofail-ics to root (5 min maybe) and voodoo ota actions take less than a minuite. Im sure djrbliss will have it rooted on no time, though, he's the f#$%&$ man, your choice though, dude.

Thanks browski. I have drivers on my computer that puts 905 back on from ginger bread. Ofcourse that's gonna brick so I am gonna delete all drivers from computer and redownload them