A Tip For Using The Sliding Keyboard Effectively

mmcompute

Reaction score
Like most people, I tried using the slider keyboard with my thumbs and while I can type with my thumbs...well, let's just say I'm all thumbs. I found a better way for me to type. Slide the keyboard out and lay the phone down on flat surface. Use your index fingers to type. For me, this is much, much faster.

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Enjoy.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I found using my thumb nails to type with. I just don't cut them down as much as I use to. That is my work around for having fat fingers :icon_ devil:

zakany

Reaction score
I usually just hold it in one and and type with the index finger of the other.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
I found using my thumb nails to type with. I just don't cut them down as much as I use to. That is my work around for having fat fingers :icon_ devil:

I used to do that specifically for my old Treo. When I got the Droid I actually had to start trimming my thumbnails again.

tktouch12

Reaction score
I can fly with my thumbs. They are much faster tan my index fingers (but I'm a 17 year old)

Robbed99

Reaction score
This is good advice...thanks!

I'm wondering why the Droid even has a physical keyboard? I rarely use it, mostly b/c it isn't that user-friendly & I can fly with the onscreen keyboard.

Other touch-screen phones (iphone, Storm, nexus, etc.) are well functioning phones with just the on screen keyboard.

Did the do this to make it sexier somehow???

Just curious. I would think without the slider the phone would be that much thinner and little lighter?

This is definitely not a complaint...just a question.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I have small hands and fingers, so my thumbs are ok for the slide out. But as I get better with swipe, I can see it replacing all keyboards.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
This is good advice...thanks!

I'm wondering why the Droid even has a physical keyboard? I rarely use it, mostly b/c it isn't that user-friendly & I can fly with the onscreen keyboard.

Other touch-screen phones (iphone, Storm, nexus, etc.) are well functioning phones with just the on screen keyboard.

Did the do this to make it sexier somehow???

Just curious. I would think without the slider the phone would be that much thinner and little lighter?

This is definitely not a complaint...just a question.

I think it is for a few reasons. One, to differentiate the Droid even more from the iPh***.
Two, because there are plenty of people who won't buy a smartphone that doesn't have a physical keyboard (a friend of mine refuses to give up his G1 for this reason). And three, I think psychologically a larger physical keyboard encourages longer text entry and frees up space/on the display (I certainly wouldn't be making this post from my Droid on the subway if it didn't have the keyboard.)