a questions re: answering calls

jismail

Reaction score
Is theren way to change how to answer an incoming call? The slide bar is a bit of a hassle and isnt really easy when driving. I would love a single icon to just tap that would automatically wake up on an incoming call, or even remap the camera button?

Also, how do you stop the screen from going blank during a call? I would like to keep it active but perhaps dimmed so I dont have to hit the top button to bring the phone out of sleep to hang up a call.

Thanks in advance for any help.....

HeathCliff

Reaction score
Did you get any response yet - answering calls on Droid?

I also have that problem. Wondering if there is a solution. Or if not, hoping that there will be a software update. Because that's the one hassle. This is, after all, a phone, and it's hard sometimes to grab the phone in time and slide that bar across to answer it.

LordKastle

Reaction score
If enough people stress about a potential safety concern then I am sure there would be a change....

I, of course, have no issue with it and do not mind it. Find it convenient for security purposes to just incase of an accidental touch on the phone.

xliderider

Reaction score
If safety during driving is a concern, get a bluetooth headset or speaker for answering calls while driving. Unfortunately, the Droid doesn't support voice dialing by BT at this time, but you certainly can answer incoming calls using BT without having to touch your Droid.

As for the Droid's screen not blanking during a call, it is designed that way, for the proximity sensor to blank the screen, so that you don't activate button presses and such when you are in-call. If they didn't deactivate the screen during a call, then a lot of people would complain about those unintended button presses while using the phone.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
get the Jupiter Jack : )

The slide to answer is what I believe to be an excellent implementation because you CANNOT accidently answer OR cancel a call. You have to intentionally move the slider to answer.

Once you get used to the device it is second nature.

As xliderrider said the proximity sensor is essential not only to save battery life but also to cut down on accidental pushing of the speaker phone, dial pad, mute, hang up features. Imagine what a mess that would cause : )

bspill

Reaction score
I'm waiting for an ap to replace the slider answer with a touch screen button, or better yet, with the HOME button.

Sleeve

Reaction score
I think I read that if you implant a magnet in your cheek, the Droid will automatically answer once you bring it to your ear. An enterprising dentist near us has converted his gold filling business to a magnets for Droid owners.

We can pretty much expect replacement lock screens so those who want to touch their phone while driving can do so without becoming too rearranged. Personally, any of the ideas above would result in my calls being answered before I get my phone out of my pocket. I happen to like any phone that is intentionally difficult to answer while driving. In fact, I wish the Droid could detect that the owner is driving a minivan and go radio silent if it doesn't have a bluetooth connection. I also get an obscene joy flicking unwanted calls to voicemail, it seems so much more physical than pushing a simple button. I wish I could assign a muted trumpet wahnt-wahnt-wahhh to the action.

reggin

Reaction score
I think I read that if you implant a magnet in your cheek, the Droid will automatically answer once you bring it to your ear. An enterprising dentist near us has converted his gold filling business to a magnets for Droid owners.

We can pretty much expect replacement lock screens so those who want to touch their phone while driving can do so without becoming too rearranged. Personally, any of the ideas above would result in my calls being answered before I get my phone out of my pocket. I happen to like any phone that is intentionally difficult to answer while driving. In fact, I wish the Droid could detect that the owner is driving a minivan and go radio silent if it doesn't have a bluetooth connection. I also get an obscene joy flicking unwanted calls to voicemail, it seems so much more physical than pushing a simple button. I wish I could assign a muted trumpet wahnt-wahnt-wahhh to the action.

Hahaha,

Basically, what I don't want is a bunch of (silent) OTA updates that fundamentally change the way this phone was designed and make me change the way I use it now.

Are you listening VerGooMoto? We've already speculated about the silent update for the camera auto-focus, so don't go fixing things that aren't broke, k?

FIREFIGHTEREMT

Reaction score
I to as well have trouble answering the phone even at home not driving a car I have missed more then one call cause it would not flick all the way. I have a portecting privce screen . Any kelp would be great

thelion

Reaction score
This drives me nuts. You complain about the safety hazard and yet you talk on your phone while driving which is a KNOWN safety hazard.

The only thing my Droid gets used for while driving is navigation. Everything else can wait and if it cannot, I will pull over.

kevinjanet

Reaction score
The flick to answer is really annoying and unsafe. However,It is much much worse to talk to a person in the car next to you* than it ever is using a cell phone. yet they haven't outlawed that have they?
Here is how I make it safer:
1- I don't make outgoing calls because the droids voice dialing sucks. You have to look at the screen and make a selection instead of the Droid giving you audio feedback (like all my other phones did)
2- I have my Droid plugged in to my stereo so I can hear the caller clearly. I just talk normally and the Droid picks up my voice (It doesn't need to be in speaker phone mode)
3- I listen to music or audiobooks in the car but the droid automatically pauses the music and restarts after the call is done.

It works great except for trying to answer a call. I flicked one call last night 9 times and it goofed up every time I finally missed the call and was majorly distracted. If nothing else, there should be an option of how you want to answer the call. Button press , camera button remap etc.

* When people are in a cell phone conversation they are looking at the road in front of them. When they are talking to a person in the car or kids in the back seat, studies have show they are cutting the eyes over to them or checking out reactions in the rear view mirror several times a minute . (usually without being aware that they are doing so)

Except when they are looking down to dial a call (which is why voice dial is sooo important) I would much rather be behind a cell phone talker than a driver gabbing with his friends in the car

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Can't see whats so hard...The position of the slider never changes.
it's not like you have to look at it to answer the phone....

Groucho

Reaction score
The flick to answer is really annoying and unsafe. However,It is much much worse to talk to a person in the car next to you* than it ever is using a cell phone.
No, it's not. Read the studies. A person in the car with you can point out hazards, and stop talking if road conditions suddenly change.

The only safe way to use your phone in the car is not at all (or, as a navigation device).

kevinjanet

Reaction score
Can't see whats so hard...The position of the slider never changes.
it's not like you have to look at it to answer the phone....

I am beginning to think there is a defect in my phone. I typically try 3-4 times to get the slider to work. I touch it with my thumb, move it across to the other side and at some point in the process it jumps back to the left hand side again. sometimes I get it half way across sometimes a quarter of the way etc. I thought everybody's phone acted like this but maybe not!

kevinjanet

Reaction score
.[/quote]No, it's not. Read the studies. A person in the car with you can point out hazards, and stop talking if road conditions suddenly change.

The only safe way to use your phone in the car is not at all (or, as a navigation device).[/QUOTE]

You should have read my whole post. The studies do point out the greater danger of talking in the car. I recently completed a professional, 2 day driving course where they stressed how it's much more distracting to have an in-car conversation because you have been conditioned your whole life to glance at the person you are talking to. A short glance away from the road and you could be traveling hundreds of feet at freeway speeds.
The experts at the class also stressed how in-car navigation is NOT safe! If it was just a voice system with no screen to look at it wouldn't be so bad, but the reality is people keep glancing at the map screen and once again there eyes are off the road.

While it is nice that a passenger can help point out road hazards it is much better to be focusing on the road yourself and not looking at the passenger in the first place.

Reminds me of the old sayin'
" When I die, I want to go like my Grandpa. Peacefully in my sleep not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car"

Bottom line the message from the class was this:
If you feel you absolutely must have a conversation in a car then a voice activated cell phone conversation is the way to go but you shouldn't be having any conversations if you can help it. (and that goes for adjusting the radio, eating in the car, fiddling with your navigation system etc etc.)