A New Pixel 2 XL Display Problem Has Arisen

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-pixel-2-xl-smudge-jpg.78039

Problems have plagued the display of the Pixel 2 XL. It started when users realized there was a nasty blue shift on the phone causing pretty nasty viewing angles. Not to long after that people began discovering they were getting some image retention which was so pronounced it seemed more like actual burn in. Now it looks like some Pixel 2 XL users are beginning to experience the shedding of the Oleophobic coating. This makes the screen appear to be permanently smudged.

Here is one user's account:

“Last night, I noticed, after two weeks of use – treating this device as carefully as I do others, going as far as to only clean with a dry t-shirt, having it be the only thing in my pocket at any given time – that there was an incongruent mar over the proximity sensor circle. I thought it was a smudge, but when I tried wiping away, it didn’t go away.

Before I go further, apparently, this VERY SAME ISSUE has been seen by someone else who had a pre-production LG V30 unit in-hand within a week’s time.

It’s like the oleophobic coating was very easily brushed away – somehow – though the phone had not been dropped, scraped, largely sitting in the open, face-up – for these entire two weeks.”

Have any of you seen this issue with your device?

via bgr

Attachments

• google-pixel-2-xl-smudge.jpg
    google-pixel-2-xl-smudge.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 3,423

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google is not going to be able to shake that display issue rep for the pixel 2 XL. I'm glad people are posting this stuff so that when others go to Google they don't get some rep trying to make it seem like you did something wrong and no one else has had that problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I just don't get how the hell LG is still in business, and companies like Google give them the time of day?

I'm glad this display issue is gaining more publicity. I had so many people who were downright mean to me for warning others about it on the LG V30. Lots of patronizing people accusing me of being a Samsung or Apple fanboy, despite it being my third LG device.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I just don't get how the hell LG is still in business, and companies like Google give them the time of day?

I'm glad this display issue is gaining more publicity. I had so many people who were downright mean to me for warning others about it on the LG V30. Lots of patronizing people accusing me of being a Samsung or Apple fanboy, despite it being my third LG device.

LG only built the phone from specs and designs from googles engineers. not totally their fault.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
LG only built the phone from specs and designs from googles engineers. not totally their fault.
Eh, I guess. LG has a million defects with every phone they release was my point, and the V30 is displaying similar OLED panel issues and has been receiving negative reviews about it since preproduction units. There's a high chance the V30 and Pixel XL have the same OLED panel.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I preface this by saying do far I'm loving the pixel 2 Xl, and like others the blue is not that bad. With that said Google saw the device way before it was ready to be released so they know the tint issue was there. I'm not going to go too crazy about the muted colors because that was proven to be a software thing that can be easily fixed.

My issue is Google knew that the blue tint shifting would be an issue. Unless the entire board room was full of yes men (and if that is the case time to fire some people) someone had to have gone "excuse me but did you notice how the screen goes blue at the slightest of shifting, we may want to go back to LG and get this fixed because there will be a bunch of complaints".

And yet Google still shipped it with the spin team trying to say it's not that bad. This should have been where either Google went back and got new panels or dropped the price of the phone because they know they got a discount on LG for the panels (and if they didn't then they got worked over by LG).

My point is this. As much as I love the pixel 2 XL and it will go down as a solid phone for me. I can't give Google a pass because had this been the iPhone X we would've been all over Apple. Oh and let the Note 8 had been another fire storm, it would've been on So Alphabet in their money making mode, which I respect, deserve every bit of criticism they are getting for this screen. You want to play with the big boys with big boy prices, then you better be able to take the heat.

All that tough talk said from me and I still ended up giving Google $1000 , yup way for me to stand my ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Eh, I guess. LG has a million defects with every phone they release was my point, and the V30 is displaying similar OLED panel issues and has been receiving negative reviews about it since preproduction units. There's a high chance the V30 and Pixel XL have the same OLED panel.

name the million defects :p

RyanPm40

Reaction score
name the million defects :p
Lol million was definitely an exaggeration, it's just felt that way to me since every phone they put out does seem to end up with a hardware defect, sometimes software

1. Bootloop class action law suits for the LG G4, V10, V20, Nexus 5X, and G5
2. Missed touchscreen taps on the G4 that took nearly a year to fix
3. Bluetooth issues on G4
4. Fragile/broken GPS sensors in a large percentage of G5s
5. Misaligned chins causing light bleed in LG G5
6. Display banding on the LG V30 OLED panel and possible burn-ins already

On top of all that, my G5 decided to start doing this fun thing where it completely dies anywhere between 5 and 25% with either of my spare batteries. The phone is a year old, and started having the issue maybe 8 months in. I went through 3 G4s and 3 G5s under warranty replacement, before giving up and dealing with what I had. That's why I finally had enough with the V30 and returned it immediately when I saw the display issues, no more risking exchanges.

So far the G6 is the only recent LG release I haven't heard of such issues, but I also never cared to research into since I decided to wait for the V30 to come out.

Last edited:

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Love love mine... Welcome to the club

Sent using Tapatalk
So, you would recommend I trade in the Pixel XL I just received as a replacement for my 6P. Verizon is offering 50% off with the trade, unfortunately it's drawn out over the 24 month payment plan (contract).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
So, you would recommend I trade in the Pixel XL I just received as a replacement for my 6P. Verizon is offering 50% off with the trade, unfortunately it's drawn out over the 24 month payment plan (contract).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I never experienced the original Pixel so I can't comment on that part.. I think if you get a good phone without issues this phone is exceptional.. full screen and front speakers with better camera improved on many parts.. That's if you don't get a bad phone as some reported... Also I heard some were having issues but Google Store also has trade in value.. Which model XL do you have now?

Sent using Tapatalk