A far out app idea...

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
that I can't claim for my own, a buddy asked me about it, I guess I'm a little slicker with the phone than he is... Here's what he wants to do, I think it's possible to get the hook-up, but translating the data I think would be the hardest part, if not impossible, for an Android app to do. But read on, let me know if you think this is possible.

He wants his phone (Moto Droid 1, pretty sure he's not rooted, so it'd be the latest OTA that was pushed) to connect to his truck's on-board computer. He's already built a box and is using SpeedView on my recommendation, because it's about as close to what he wants, as of right now.

He wants the app to read the data from the truck computer, and display it. Everything about his truck. Engine temp, oil temp, rpm's, pretty much everything that could be read off of the computer be read by the phone, and displayed to him.

I'm sure there could be a cord that you'd have to buy, to go from the computer (not sure what kind of cord that is), and connect to mini USB (phone). But for me, I don't think an Android OS would be able to convert the raw data from the truck. It's a fairly newer GMC/Chevy (I forget), and it has the V8, which drops to 4 or 6 on the highway, so I know the on board comp is pretty advanced.

What do you guys think of this? Is it possible? Would anyone be willing to dig around in the code to see if it is possible? I want to get in to app building/theming, but this is not a good first step to take.

Thanks y'all.

B

bthomp21

bluetooth with adapter and the app torque i believe does this, dont quote me

OP
bazar6

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Dude, thats awesome. I guess my market search wasn't very thorough, cuz I have not heard of this, and did not see it. Thanks a ton, that was exactly what I was looking for!

I guess it can be done...

B

bthomp21

Not a problem, I plan on downloading it and getting the adapter this spring. It's an amazing app.

OP
bazar6

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
B

bthomp21

Sounds good, is that one of the adapters he said works with it?

OP
bazar6

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I hadn't seen that page before. They're too expensive for me tho. The page I bought it on says its good for it. :

"Technical Details
Just Plug it in to Your OBD2 Port
Download Torque for your Andriod Device
Link - and Go!
You MUST download the Torque program from the Andriod Market off course."

That's why I'm not buying the app til I have the ELM327 in my hand, just in case it doesn't work. And I was looking for something domestic too, I don't trust a ton of stuff that comes out of hong kong

B

bthomp21

I hadn't seen that page before. They're too expensive for me tho. The page I bought it on says its good for it. :

"Technical Details
Just Plug it in to Your OBD2 Port
Download Torque for your Andriod Device
Link - and Go!
You MUST download the Torque program from the Andriod Market off course."

That's why I'm not buying the app til I have the ELM327 in my hand, just in case it doesn't work. And I was looking for something domestic too, I don't trust a ton of stuff that comes out of hong kong

I really want this so if it works, let me know and im buying it too!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My friend works in automotive and was telling me about this last week. He's getting ready to buy it for his car and his my touch 4g.

tappin and a talkin

OP
bazar6

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I gotta say... This thing is pretty cool.
Props to the guy on amazon I bought it from, got it from USPS way earlier. Custom instructions, saying that he had tested it on a 96 Dodge Ram like 3 days earlier. He sent the mini disc that it came with from the manuf, but said that it doesn't include a driver, and is filled with "outdated freeware which has been known to have viruses, so I wouldn't even use the disc."

Turn the key to "On" or actually turn the engine on (crank).
THEN plug the bluetooth adapter in to the OBDII port.
With your bluetooth on, pair with it (I forget what the name is right off the top of my head).
Enter the password (came on the instruction sheet, usually its simple).
Once it's paired, it won't actually showed that its connected (D1 running 2.2.1)
Turn on your GPS (if you want, that's how you can calibrate speed too [what it says in the app])
Then go to the Torque app (I'll be getting the paid version in a little while)
It'll connect, run some connection tests, check for error codes, etc.

Be sure to go in to the settings of the app and change to mph, Fahrenheit, your engine Liter size, max RPM, car/truck weight (in kilos :/ ), and I forgot to hit "toggle logging."

Theres a ton in the free app already, not sure if I'd recommend the HUD tho, SpeedView has a much better HUD. And based on all of the comments in the market and appBrain, doesn't look like the dev is keeping up with it.

Screen shots attached (not recommended while driving lol, it was one and done for me)

Big Plus tho: you can still be paired with the OBDII thru bluetooth and you'll still be able to connect to a bluetooth headset. When doing this, you might want to definitely plug your phone in.

Side note, unplug the adapter every time you turn the truck off, because it'll still be broadcasting and pulling info from the ECU even when the engine is off: can kill the battery.

Screen shot from mine:
CAP201101191952.jpg

JohnBo

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for this terrific info! 50 bucks for a OBDII-bt interface that works well with a long-used android app? I'm so there.

tktouch12

Reaction score
this is pretty sweet. it would definitely be cool to have, but i have no idea how to go about installing that adapter. i might look into this though

lookEVO

Reaction score
i have several different scanners and a few bluetooth adapters. guess im somewhat numb to this.