94lt1 I have a question/problem!

sniperf250

Reaction score
Ok went to the local chevy house here in Carthage and apparently they can't get an EGR pipe for my 97 Camaro 3.8 they told me I had 3 options
1: find one at a junkyard
2: redneck engineer it further (will include pic)
3: remove the EGR system altogether

I'm thinking about just deleting the EGR and going about my business any side effects I would need to watch out for? Chevy house said they could reprogram the ECM to ignore the absence of the EGR valve what is your opinion? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357682929.316213.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
Bump sorry but I'm still battling with the idea of deleting the EGR

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
94lt1 doesn't come on that much anymore. He's been very busy. Just letting you know cause I know you have an issue that he might be familiar with this topic .

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'm not 94lt1, but I might be able to help you make a decision. If you're environmentally concerned, you should get one out of a pull-a-part and replace it. If you don't really care about it, you can just "delete" it and have the ECM overridden. It shouldn't affect performance so it's mainly a decision to make based on your preferences. If you take it off, and have it properly bypassed, it'll be one less thing to worry about.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Delete it, then have your pcm tuned to get rid of it... Also, if you don't have one already, get a cai(cold air intake) have a regular gas performance tune slapped on and the cai will take advantage of it....

As far as the block off plate, jeggs sells em... 97... 3.8L, um.... 3 or 4 o2 sensors... I don't remember..... 2 ways around this... O2simulators...they're OK... Or have a buddy weld a bung into a straight pipe and get rid of the cat.... Your car is old enough to slip by all but the strictest of smog tests....

Except a dang sniffer... I'm warning you now.. Bypass any of this and get caught... And you're gonna get fined... MY ADVICE DOESN'T REFLECT THE ATTITUDE OR OPINION OF THE DROID FORUMS

I see the condition of your manifolds.... Be careful not to snap any hardware off...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also.. Very sorry i didn't see this earlier... As Devil Dog said... I'm not on much.. :) looks like it was answered by cobravnm... Dang ford people.. Jk ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You don't have to bypass the cat.. That can stay on for a while.. But i'd look into it...

The egr (exhaust gas recirculation) is only used to heat the core of the catalytic converter. Eventually you might want to rid yourself of the cat.. this is illegal... you cold always remove it, use a long piece of pipe and knock out its insides, and put it back on.. then your o2 will stay in place and you'll visually pass inspection..

But definitely have it tuned out... on am obd2 vehicle, you will have at least a SEL (service engine light) unless you do.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Yeah, keep your cats and knock the insides out, like 94lt1 said. I have a 91 c1500 Silverado with a built 355 carbureted. Late 70s(?) block. I don't need cats. :)

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
This isn't really the thread to ask your question. And I have no clue as to an answer for you.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
This is posted in off topic and is a fine place to post the question. Sorry I can't help you though. :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
This is posted in off topic and is a fine place to post the question. Sorry I can't help you though. :p

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Well, I meant with regards to the OP.

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'm sorry I haven't answered back in a timely manner I'm probably gonna just delete it and add dual exhaust and punch the cats when I add the duals it'll be easier

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Thanks guys I'm sorry I haven't answered back in a timely manner I'm probably gonna just delete it and add dual exhaust and punch the cats when I add the duals it'll be easier

Easier and the duals will be worth it.