904 Leak / 3G Radio Issues Among Other Things

Batman8

Reaction score
I was forever rooted. But I lost root. I immediately rooted the phone again using the MOTOFAIL hack. 6 minutes tops and your phone will be rooted again. If you are worried about losing root try using VOODOO ROOTKEEPER from the play store. That might enable you to not lose root. I can't confirm bcuz at the time I did the update I didn't know anything about the app. You can never say for sure whether or not you will be taken off the update path. As long as the leaked .904 is the final/official release I assume we should be fine. But as you said we can always FXZ back to .902 to get back on the upgrade path. Give it a try man. I'm pretty sure you will be glad you did. There is one house in particular that I frequent a lot and for some reason on .902 4g would never stay on. Location i guess. Always was losing data there. On .904 now I do have 4g (although not the strongest signal) and when the 4g does go out it immediately goes to 3g. No data toggling/airplane mode etc required or anything. For me it was definitely worth it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hey KM75, thanks again for all of your help. I'm all done and 100% on .904 and it feels good (so far at least). I had to take at least a few minutes to try my most important apps and games to make sure everything was working, and so far EVERYTHING WORKS. I'm really glad you told me about VooDoo RootKeeper, it worked like a charm and I kept root!

If this update corrects my data problems (and doesn't cause me any others), I'll be happy with my Bionic just the way it is for a good while and not even concerned too much with ICS. The only other major problem I had not overcome with this phone was the super small 8GB of internal space for storing game data which was restricting me to only a few of my tons of HD games on the Bionic. So just so you know, that problem was just recently solved by an independently made app/tool called "Directoy Bind" which allows me to store absolutely everything on my external sdcard freeing up ALL internal 8GB! That made me feel like I had a whole new phone that I could put anything on with no space restrictions.

By the way, I just wanted to share the info on DB in case you were having similar problems with space like I did, in case you want to check it out go to the xda site at [TOOL] DirectoryBind - move data to external_sd (GameLoft, Shadowgun etc.) ROOT req. - xda-developers and get the latest version. Now if my data signal holds strong on .904 my phone will be just about perfect in my opinion. I LOVE MY BIONIC!!

I'll let all of you know if I run into any issues with this .904 upgrade.

Take care.

km75

Reaction score
Hey KM75, thanks again for all of your help. I'm all done and 100% on .904 and it feels good (so far at least). I had to take at least a few minutes to try my most important apps and games to make sure everything was working, and so far EVERYTHING WORKS. I'm really glad you told me about VooDoo RootKeeper, it worked like a charm and I kept root!

If this update corrects my data problems (and doesn't cause me any others), I'll be happy with my Bionic just the way it is for a good while and not even concerned too much with ICS. The only other major problem I had not overcome with this phone was the super small 8GB of internal space for storing game data which was restricting me to only a few of my tons of HD games on the Bionic. So just so you know, that problem was just recently solved by an independently made app/tool called "Directoy Bind" which allows me to store absolutely everything on my external sdcard freeing up ALL internal 8GB! That made me feel like I had a whole new phone that I could put anything on with no space restrictions.

By the way, I just wanted to share the info on DB in case you were having similar problems with space like I did, in case you want to check it out go to the xda site at [TOOL] DirectoryBind - move data to external_sd (GameLoft, Shadowgun etc.) ROOT req. - xda-developers and get the latest version. Now if my data signal holds strong on .904 my phone will be just about perfect in my opinion. I LOVE MY BIONIC!!

Take care.

Not a problem. Glad I could be of help.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info CBMGGM. I too am in the western suburbs of Chicago and I have been having TERRIBLE data connections on .902 within the last 2-3 weeks whereas before that it was actually pretty solid. I downloaded the .904 update but could not install it via recovery mode due to the error "E:signature verification failed" and although I posted this info here and reached out for help on how to get around this error, unfortunately no one has answered my call for help. Therefore I am still suffering about 7-9 data drops a day and sometimes more. Luckily, using the app "restart connections" usually gets 4G back, at least for a while, and then its back to 3G, 1x or NO "G"/signal at all.

The problem was getting so bad that I called both Verizon AND Motorola today and got some pretty disturbing news...the Motorola tech said that she knows nothing of a new .904 update and in fact the next software update that she knew of was going to be Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) which she said they are in the process of "TRYING" to find out "IF" it will work on our device (the Droid Bionic)! Obviously there are still some issues to iron out with ICS but I have always been told that it surely was coming to the Bionic, it was always just a matter of "When?". So now I hated to hear her sound so unsure about it.

I appreciate you posting the issues that you're currently experiencing with .904, although I was hoping more for it to maybe fix these data issues that I'm having and then I would be fine with waiting a while for ICS, assuming it's still coming to the Bionic. But now that I see your problems with it, I'm not sure if I should update to .904 or not (of course that's all based also on someone telling me how to get past my signature errors first).

So maybe take what the Moto tech said with a grain of salt, or if what she said was true and ICS turns out NOT to run well on the Bionic then .904 may be one of the last updates that we see for a while, and maybe that's why it was created...because ICS may not be on it's way after all. As I told her, I really hope they get things on track and we get ICS soon. I even keep trying to sign up to be one of the Moto soak testers but have not heard from Moto yet.

In conclusion, everyone keep your fingers, arms, legs, eyes and everything else crossed in hopes that we are lucky enough to see our highly anticipated ICS on the Bionic and soon!

The Verizon tech is talking out of her rear end, like they tend to do for whatever reason (if you don't KNOW the answer, just admit it; don't TRY and BS me).

For one thing, there is a known ICS leak for the RAZR floating around. We know for a fact that it does indeed work. The Bionic is almost identical from a hardware standpoint. There is absolutely no reason why it would not work.

She probably saw something that said that it was in "Evaluation and planning" and took that to mean "seeing if they can get it to work" Of course it's going to work, the Bionic is more optimized for ICS than it is for Gingerbread.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this update corrects my data problems (and doesn't cause me any others), I'll be happy with my Bionic just the way it is for a good while and not even concerned too much with ICS.

There is that, too. We have a pretty solid Gingerbread build at this point, and the data issues have gotten progressively better. Since ICS is a whole new OS and not an incremental update, it could very well bring about a whole new set of issues. Basically, none of the fixes for Gingerbread will be pertinent for ICS, as it uses a completely different kernel and baseband. I hope I am wrong, but Moto seldom gets it right on the first try. ICS will likely see a couple of patches before it is as stable as GB has become.

km75

Reaction score

Take care.

Maybe you can help me out. I too am frustrated with the fact that I have limited internal storage space. I have less than 1 gig available due to the many data intensive games I have. I downloaded the app you mention but for some reason I can't move anything. I keep getting path errors when i try to move them to my external sd card. Any suggestions would be greatly aprreciated

Batman8

Reaction score
Maybe you can help me out. I too am frustrated with the fact that I have limited internal storage space. I have less than 1 gig available due to the many data intensive games I have. I downloaded the app you mention but for some reason I can't move anything. I keep getting path errors when i try to move them to my external sd card. Any suggestions would be greatly aprreciated

Hey KM75,

I'm more than happy to help. Here are the detailed instructions that I used:

1. Launch DB and hit the "menu" button on your phone and select "add new entry"
2. Enter the "mount path" first by long pressing on the bottom white box and select the directory that you want to move (e.g. navigate to "/sdcard/gameloft/games/GTRacing" then click the select button to pick it. You should now see it as selected in the bottom white box.
3. Enter the "source path" in the top white box by typing "/sdcard-ext/gameloft/games/GTRacing" (this is always the same path as the "mount" with the exception of it's path has to ALWAYS start with sdcard-ext since this is the name of the Bionic's external sdcard. Other phones may have a different name for their external card).
4. Make sure to now to hit the check box that says "Transfer files from target to data" and then hit the "add" button. All the files will now be copied over from your internal card to your external card and it will also DELETE the contents from the internal folder while leaving a empty folder/place holder there just for the game to look at, but all the real data will be on the external card.
5. Now you should see a list of the newly patched folders and a grey box on the left side. Just tap the grey box so it turns green and you have completed the patch for that folder.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for any other folders that you want moved and that's it.

I hope these instructions help you. If you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them, or you can post your questions in the same forum where you got the app from and one of the other users like me I'm sure will help you as they did me. The only grip I have is that the developer of this app is not very helpful nor does he answer questions in the forum on his own app, but the app is EXTREMELY solid and will patch all of your folders automatically each time you have to boot up your phone.

I love it, and like I said, it made me feel like I had a whole new phone again. One that could actually hold a great deal of apps and games just like it's supposed to. The app works very well with the Sandisk 64GB sdcard too which is what I am using and it then gives you TONS of space to store all you large data folders. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Batman8

Reaction score
The only issue I'm having with .904 is my 4g signal doesn't seem to be as strong, and isn't as fast...

I'm sorry to say that even after updating to .904 I am STILL having a ton of data drops!!! So I am now at a lost and just hope Verizon gets their network issues ironed out because it always seems to be on their end because it eventually clears itself up over time. Otherwise I guess I'll have to wait for ICS and hope that fixes things. If you guys know of anything else that could clear up this data issue (or even help it a bit in the mean time) please let me know because this is driving me crazy, just like it did at the beginning of most of the other software updates in my experience.

Thanks.

Batman8

Reaction score
The Verizon tech is talking out of her rear end, like they tend to do for whatever reason (if you don't KNOW the answer, just admit it; don't TRY and BS me).

For one thing, there is a known ICS leak for the RAZR floating around. We know for a fact that it does indeed work. The Bionic is almost identical from a hardware standpoint. There is absolutely no reason why it would not work.

She probably saw something that said that it was in "Evaluation and planning" and took that to mean "seeing if they can get it to work" Of course it's going to work, the Bionic is more optimized for ICS than it is for Gingerbread.

You make perfect sense to me Dave, and I hope you're right!

km75

Reaction score
Hey KM75,

I'm more than happy to help. Here are the detailed instructions that I used:

1. Launch DB and hit the "menu" button on your phone and select "add new entry"
2. Enter the "mount path" first by long pressing on the bottom white box and select the directory that you want to move (e.g. navigate to "/sdcard/gameloft/games/GTRacing" then click the select button to pick it. You should now see it as selected in the bottom white box.
3. Enter the "source path" in the top white box by typing "/sdcard-ext/gameloft/games/GTRacing" (this is always the same path as the "mount" with the exception of it's path has to ALWAYS start with sdcard-ext since this is the name of the Bionic's external sdcard. Other phones may have a different name for their external card).
4. Make sure to now to hit the check box that says "Transfer files from target to data" and then hit the "add" button. All the files will now be copied over from your internal card to your external card and it will also DELETE the contents from the internal folder while leaving a empty folder/place holder there just for the game to look at, but all the real data will be on the external card.
5. Now you should see a list of the newly patched folders and a grey box on the left side. Just tap the grey box so it turns green and you have completed the patch for that folder.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for any other folders that you want moved and that's it.

I hope these instructions help you. If you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them, or you can post your questions in the same forum where you got the app from and one of the other users like me I'm sure will help you as they did me. The only grip I have is that the developer of this app is not very helpful nor does he answer questions in the forum on his own app, but the app is EXTREMELY solid and will patch all of your folders automatically each time you have to boot up your phone.

I love it, and like I said, it made me feel like I had a whole new phone again. One that could actually hold a great deal of apps and games just like it's supposed to. The app works very well with the Sandisk 64GB sdcard too which is what I am using and it then gives you TONS of space to store all you large data folders. Enjoy!

Thanks man I appreciate the write up. Will try this when I get home.