ICS will not boot up after initial install.

Sobr0801

Reaction score
I have tried updating my fiancé's bionic multiple different times, trying suggestions from multiple different threads and each time it ends up the same way. I am stuck at the "Android is Upgrading - Starting Application screen" I can wait 20 minutes or 3 hours and it just sits there. If I try rebooting it is stuck at the DROID screen. A battery pull is the only way to turn it off again.

I have found a few other users with the problem merickk, and crmcsh01 being among them. Both of these users have tried multiple ways of getting pass the screen such as

I've tried 6 or 7 2233 and 2231 leak files. and 2 or 3 different FXZ 902 files.
I get no error codes when flashing.
I've tried wiping cache and factory reseting in between every flash and every combination from no wiping to only wiping cache etc..
I've tried going all the way back to 893 and OTA to 902 then OTA to 905 then flash 2233.
I've reformatted my internal memory from 905 before flashing.
I've reformatted a different SD card both from PC and from phone and the only file is the ics leak.
I've also tried moto-fastboot flashing both cdt.bin and mbm
When in that screen I can press the home button and get a tactile feedback vibration, but no other button does.
It will charge the phone while in that screen, and I've let it sit on that screen overnight with no results.
The only way out is a battery pull, after a pull it hangs on the Droid screen when trying to reboot.
After flashing the leak either 2231 or 2233 when going into stock recovery it shows the android icon for ics. The one with the panel open rather than the triangle with the droid inside.
I've tried flashing all the way up to the leak with no sd card inserted.
I've also tried flashing all the way from 902 to 2233 with no sim card inserted.
Reflashing 2233 a 2nd time takes me to a fastboot loop.
Previous to this I was running safestrap with the AKOP nightlies over 905 with no problems except for the normal ics over the gb kernel/radio issues.
The phone works well in 902 and 905 with no issues.
I have not tried to install a ics rom over 905 again since trying the leak.
I can root 905 with no problems using motofail after the 902 FXZ to 905 OTA flash.
I've flashed the leak with root and no root.
The only thing I set up before flashing the root is wifi after FXZing 902 to get the 905 OTA.
I've tried rooting then saving the 905OTA file and flashing that from recovery on a freshly formatted SD card as well.
I've tried flashing the leak from stock recovery right after flashing 905 from recovery without rebooting first into 905.
I've let it run for awhile in 905 as long as overnight before flashing the leak.

to no avail.

I am curious if anyone has any new ideas or suggestions that they used to get this to work. If not, has anyone been successful in getting custom ICS ROM to boot who has this problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Brandon

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the droid forums Brandon.. I can't help you.. but I just wanted to welcome you.. :)
Someone that can help you will be along shortly I'm sure..

crmcsh01

Reaction score
SOBR0801, this issue is a nightmare, if I made a list of everything I tried, I would pull out even more hair just looking at what I have tried. I talked to a gentleman over at another forum and he said he gave up on it and took it to Verizon because his front facing camera did not work so Verizon did an exchange for him. Strange thing is, after reading that I opened my front facing camera and guess what... mine did not work either. I was wondering if you could fxz back to .902 or .905 and tell me if your front facing camera works. It may sound crazy but when I have done everything I can think of 3 or 4 times and it is still not working, I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with that front facing camera not working because I am out of ideas.

OP
S

Sobr0801

Reaction score
Thank you 94lt1 for the warm welcome!

crmcsh01, ill check her Front facing camera when she gets home. The real problem for us is I bought this phone from her on Ebay, so the standard Verizon warranty does not cover the phone. Also 4G drops a lot for her. I am wondering crm if you have had any success flashing ICS ROMS to your bionic?

crmcsh01

Reaction score
Thank you 94lt1 for the warm welcome!

crmcsh01, ill check her Front facing camera when she gets home. The real problem for us is I bought this phone from her on Ebay, so the standard Verizon warranty does not cover the phone. Also 4G drops a lot for her. I am wondering crm if you have had any success flashing ICS ROMS to your bionic?

I am in the same boat as you for a warranty. I was only able to flash an older gummy ics rom to it, using. 905 and bootstrap. I think the rom was compiled before the leaks came out so there are some bugs. I might have access to a parts bionic that I will check on tomorrow so I will replace the front camera and see if that takes care of it

OP
S

Sobr0801

Reaction score
Let me know

I am in the same boat as you for a warranty. I was only able to flash an older gummy ics rom to it, using. 905 and bootstrap. I think the rom was compiled before the leaks came out so there are some bugs. I might have access to a parts bionic that I will check on tomorrow so I will replace the front camera and see if that takes care of it

Let me know what happends!

crmcsh01

Reaction score
Well I thought I had a parts bionic at work, but it turns out I do not. It is kind of a shot in the dark whether that would actually work. The only reason I think the front camera might be the issue is because this is a very rare problem and this was the only thing I could find in common with another bionic user with the EXACT same problem. Sobr0801, did you ever determine if your front facing camera was working?

OP
S

Sobr0801

Reaction score
I can confirm that her front facing camera does not work either. This is really interesting, she has told me this before but I wasn't a 100% sure. But it seems to be a common theme between these phones, now we have to figure out what can be done about it?

crmcsh01

Reaction score
I can confirm that her front facing camera does not work either. This is really interesting, she has told me this before but I wasn't a 100% sure. But it seems to be a common theme between these phones, now we have to figure out what can be done about it?

After reading that your front camera does not work, I am pretty convinced that this is the problem. I am not sure why it will not boot ICS because of it, but I find it hard to believe it is just a coincidence. I have ordered a front facing camera for mine, cost me $20. It should be here by Friday and I will open up my bionic and replace it to see if that what has been causing this issue. If I have time before the camera gets here, I might just open it up and pull the front facing camera out and see if ICS will install without it since I will never use the camera, however it is attached on a flex with the earpiece speaker so I would have to pull both.

OP
S

Sobr0801

Reaction score
Please let me know how it works out. While my fiancé HATES this phone now I am going to probably sell my Rezound and stick with it for a bit and get her a Nexus. I am hoping the camera fixes the situation.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sobr,

Go to the thread "Downgrade to 902 - No app or data loss." Read the OP thoroughly then read the last 10 pages of the thread. You can dl ICS 232 and it should put you where you need to be.

If you don't want to go that route, do a fdr. Then try the update again

crmcsh01

Reaction score
SOBR0801, I received my front camera today and installed it. Bad news, it still does not work. I am currently on Eclipse 3.0 so I fxzd back to .905 and my front camera still will not initialize. I am convinced there is a hardware issue with the mainboard that is not allowing that front camera to initialize and also causing issues getting the ICS leak to take. It is possible I suppose that I got a bum part in the camera that I ordered but I doubt it. I am going to try Mikes suggestion in the previous post and will report back once completed.

OP
S

Sobr0801

Reaction score
Well me and crmcsh have come to the conclusion that the problem with the Bionic has something to do with the camera and it not working. I am thinking the camera force closes during the update which causes the update process the hand and corrupts the install. I am not a hundred percent on this but it is a theory. I did get ICS to install and boot up once, but the camera force closed after the point where it got it to hang and did a semi full install. Since the camera did force close during the install, it still became corrupt.

I was wondering if it is possible to disable the camera in an ICS ROM so a full install can occur and then I could possibly deal with the camera afterwards? I guess my next step is possibly getting the front facing camera replaced by a repair shop in the area here?

crmcsh01

Reaction score
Well it looks like I finally was able to get ICS running on this Bionic. After I ordered a front camera/earpiece it still did not work but after testing it I found out the part I ordered was bad so I sent it back and received another one. The front camera and earpiece then worked fine. Went through the steps for ICS and it worked without any problems. So in conclusion if your front camera or earpiece speaker are giving you issues (they are one part) this can cause the bionic to lock up when trying to install ICS. If you are having this problem, it is actually very easy to replace that camera, I paid $20 for the part and it only takes 5-10 minutes to replace that part. If anyone has this problem and wants to replace their front camera, pm me and I can walk you through the steps to replace it. Don't worry, it is very easy, the only tedious part is that Motorola decided to put nearly a dozen screws in the back of the phone.

OP
S

Sobr0801

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help, my wife will be VERY happy now!
Well it looks like I finally was able to get ICS running on this Bionic. After I ordered a front camera/earpiece it still did not work but after testing it I found out the part I ordered was bad so I sent it back and received another one. The front camera and earpiece then worked fine. Went through the steps for ICS and it worked without any problems. So in conclusion if your front camera or earpiece speaker are giving you issues (they are one part) this can cause the bionic to lock up when trying to install ICS. If you are having this problem, it is actually very easy to replace that camera, I paid $20 for the part and it only takes 5-10 minutes to replace that part. If anyone has this problem and wants to replace their front camera, pm me and I can walk you through the steps to replace it. Don't worry, it is very easy, the only tedious part is that Motorola decided to put nearly a dozen screws in the back of the phone.