90 degree charge socket adapter?

ripshod

Reaction score
I'm brand new here. Just got my Droid2 a couple of days ago. I plan to mount the phone on my motorcycle and use the built-in Bluetooth functions in my helmet to make full use of the phone while on the road.

I'm going to mount it using a Ram Mount Aqua Box like this one, comically shown mounted on a kid's bicycle:

The boxes come in several sizes. The small size would fit the phone perfectly but since I will have the display lit up constantly and will probably be streaming data all day for GPS and XMradio, I have to allow room inside the box for the charge plug sticking out the side. The box comes in several sizes and of course I'd like to get the smallest size that will do the job.

They have a Medium/Wide size which is approx. 4" x 6" inside dimentions. That would definitely be big enough, but I'd like to get by with the Medium size which is a tad over 2 7/8" wide. Well, 2.88" to be exact. More like 2 15/16" I guess. With the 12v charger plugged in, I cannot fit the plugged-in phone into that box but if I had a 90 degree plug adapter or an elbow, I'm pretty sure it will fit.

Has anyone seen such an animal out there?

Thanks and if you're a rider I'd love to hear about how you use your droid on two wheels.

Last edited:

mastersonc

Reaction score
How are you using this on a bike? Assuming its a Cruiser of some sort with a 12v outlet or have you hardwired a charging cable into the bikes aux power?

I have an ezestand from the company by the same name and when I bought it, a 6' (yes 6 foot) 90 degree cable was included in the box. The stand is designed specifically for the Original Droid / Droid 2 as it has a magnet in it that turns on media/ dock mode. The cable works great for desks.

OP
ripshod

ripshod

Reaction score
No, it is absolutely not a cruiser (not that there's anything wrong with that) and yes, I have a 12v socket wired on the handlebars just a few inches from the spot where the phone will be mounted. I need the Aqua Box because I ride in all weather conditions.

OP
ripshod

ripshod

Reaction score
I keep both hands on the bars, Zero. Ever heard of Bluetooth and helmet speakers? They're all the rage. In fact, the next time a motorcycle passes you, the rider might be calling ahead to order take-out on his way home.

OP
ripshod

ripshod

Reaction score
So I guess you never use your phone while driving, even hands-free? If not, that is your prerogative but it puts you in the vast minority, so to speak. It's no different on a motorcycle.

No, I do not need to touch the phone to make or take a call. It's all done in the helmet.

OP
ripshod

ripshod

Reaction score
I can also point out that I can use the phone to listen to music and get voice directions using my bluetooth helmet. This has been going on for decades. It's just the advent of Bluetooth that gives us wireless capabilities. It's all been done with wires for decades.

Reaction score
let me get this straight ... you want to use your phone while riding a motorcycle ? ! its not like a car where if you only use 1 hand for steering you're ok.

seriously bro, wherever it is you live stay away from me and my roads. america is already a wreck full of accidents and youre compounding onto it.

stop your bike, make your call, move on ....

posted via android

Have you ever even touched a motorcycle? It's EXACTLY like a car in that I can steer with one hand just fine. Hell, I can even make TURNS with one hand.

ripshod said:
I need the Aqua Box because I ride in all weather conditions.

Good man. That's how you do it. If you don't ride in all weather, you're not a rider.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok either answer the guys question or move on, no more sarcastic comments.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP check amazon it may have what you need. All you really need is something that fits that usb port. And vilingo will be a good app for what you are trying to do, it works through voice commands so you can get ur music, listen and speak texts and make phone calls all via voice command so you keep your eyes on the road.

Stay safe out there.

OP
ripshod

ripshod

Reaction score
Ok either answer the guys question or move on, no more sarcastic comments.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to start something. There are a lot of misconceptions out there about motorcycles and motorcyclists (by the way, I'm not a biker - not that there's anything wrong with that either), and I like to clear those up whenever I get the chance.

OP check amazon it may have what you need. All you really need is something that fits that usb port. And vilingo will be a good app for what you are trying to do, it works through voice commands so you can get ur music, listen and speak texts and make phone calls all via voice command so you keep your eyes on the road.

Stay safe out there.

I did find the right angle plug I needed, but will definitely look into vilingo. Thanks.

wkearney99

Reaction score
what you need is a right angle mini usb cable
Yup, I picked up a couple of them via eBay. I got one for the car dock and another for the home dock. The one in the car lets me keep using an older mini-USB charger. I used some silicone 'rescue' tape to securely attach them together.

For the home dock I got a short micro-USB to desktop USB cable. This so there wasn't a lot of cabling cluttering the space behind the dock and a Belkin hub with an iPod dock right next to it.

billynair

Reaction score
What kind of 12v charger are you using? I would like to find one that is basically just a USB female that is wired to the battery, the BULK of a cigarette charger is more than I really want on my bike.

Reaction score
What kind of 12v charger are you using? I would like to find one that is basically just a USB female that is wired to the battery, the BULK of a cigarette charger is more than I really want on my bike.

The bulk is the important parts... The diode, and transformer, etc... How do you think you get a 12V, 200+ Amp car battery to power your phone? You could always disassemble one and shrink wrap the guts together, but you'd barely save any bulk.